• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

HD-DVD at playusa.com

Louis Mazzini

Established Member
Apologies if this is old news (or just not very interesting), but I've just become aware that playusa.com is now listing these discs.

Having said that, none are actually available at the moment (they're all either "temporarily out of stock" or have a future release date shown), but it's presumably a solid sign that playusa will be shipping them soon.
 

lfletcher

Prominent Member
Ooooo, thats new. Emailed them a while back to ask if they were going to supply HD-DVD's and they said not at this time. Suppose they had a change of heart. Wonder if CDWow will also start selling them?

They have Blu Ray titles listed as well.
 

Louis Mazzini

Established Member
lfletcher said:
Ooooo, thats new. Emailed them a while back to ask if they were going to supply HD-DVD's and they said not at this time. Suppose they had a change of heart. Wonder if CDWow will also start selling them?

They have Blu Ray titles listed as well.

Good point (I hadn't noticed play's Blu-ray section - because I didn't bother looking for it!): I've amended the thread title, in the interest of fairness...
 
Thanks, glad to see them begin stocking them.
They usually ship a little head of the actual US street date so they're my favourite choice :D
 

RyanK

Established Member
Louis Mazzini said:
Apologies if this is old news (or just not very interesting), but I've just become aware that playusa.com is now listing these discs.

Having said that, none are actually available at the moment (they're all either "temporarily out of stock" or have a future release date shown), but it's presumably a solid sign that playusa will be shipping them soon.


i did e-mail them a few weeks ago to ask if theyr were going to sell them and the response i got was lee than helpful
 

Uruloke

Established Member
RyanK said:
i did e-mail them a few weeks ago to ask if theyr were going to sell them and the response i got was lee than helpful
At least you got a response mate. I too e-mailed them a few weeks ago, no reply at all! :mad:
 

midknight

Distinguished Member
Movietyme over PlayUSA anytime !!!:) :thumbsup:
 

lfletcher

Prominent Member
Tejstar said:
Do playusa charge customs?
Anything over £18 from PlayUSA has the ability to attract the attentions of customs. I dont believe any of the HD-DVDs or Blu Ray discs are above £17.99 from Play, so you'd be ok.
 

Tejstar

Distinguished Member
lfletcher said:
Anything over £18 from PlayUSA has the ability to attract the attentions of customs. I dont believe any of the HD-DVDs or Blu Ray discs are above £17.99 from Play, so you'd be ok.

Thanks for that, I always get confused with playusa as I don't often order from them. :)
 
R

Roughneck1

Guest
Don't forget about half French half English covers.. applies to HD DVD's too...
 

skinboots

Standard Member
NONE of the HD DVDs from Canada, that I own, follow the dual-language covers of SD DVDs - they are all just english covers.
 
R

Roughneck1

Guest
erntebrot said:
NONE of the HD DVDs from Canada, that I own, follow the dual-language covers of SD DVDs - they are all just english covers.

Just what i have been told by Canadian distributors.
 

Louis Mazzini

Established Member
Lyris said:
Yeah, I imagine later titles will start to suffer from the bilingual problem.

I don't have many Canadian R1 discs, so don't know if this is a common 'problem', but the bilingual thing can throw up some ludicrous packaging: I assume the French language version of Martin Brest's masterful bounty hunter film retained its original English title - and the daft Canadian DVD obsessively lists BOTH titles on the spine, hence it reads: "Midnight Run / Midnight Run". Does that madness happen frequently?
 

RyanK

Established Member
To everyone who has coplained about billingual covers, what does it matter if it`s billingual???

It`s the bloody film i want to watch and listen to, not stare at the packaging which will spend most of it`s time sitting an a shelf or in a dvd rack?
 

Louis Mazzini

Established Member
RyanK said:
Come on, what does it matter if it`s billingual???

It`s the bloody film i want to watch and listen to, not stare at the packaging which will spend most of it`s time sitting an a shelf or in a dvd rack?

Ryan, on the whole mate I agree. I just gave that one as an example because it looks bonkers, not because I really care. A while ago a friend was over looking at my discs and asked, "What's 'Midnight Run Midnight Run' - so good they named it twice..?" (Come to think of it, we watched it that evening just because he'd mentioned it - and, of course, he loved it - so thanks to those crazy Canadians I guess...)
 

RyanK

Established Member
Louis Mazzini said:
Ryan, on the whole mate I agree. I just gave that one as an example because it looks bonkers, not because I really care. A while ago a friend was over looking at my discs and asked, "What's 'Midnight Run Midnight Run' - so good they named it twice..?" (Come to think of it, we watched it that evening just because he'd mentioned it - and, of course, he loved it - so thanks to those crazy Canadians I guess...)


:oops: sorry, i meant to reply to the thread as a whole and NOT to directly quote you.

I have edited my original post.
 

PlexShaw

Prominent Member
If they made the covers reversable (English only one side; French only on the other), it would be fine, but they don't so it ends up looking really stupid (my Jason X / Jason X spine, for example).
 

Jeff

Distinguished Member
I couldn't care less.
 

Nic Rhodes

Distinguished Member
I ditched all cases and covers ages ago. They sit in a box in the roof. The discs are kept in wallets.
 

Jeff

Distinguished Member
I need to do that soon, what wallets did you go for?, are they any good?
 

Nic Rhodes

Distinguished Member
I just use the 320 wallets from Maplin, get them when they are £10 (now), they are in pages of 8, 4 each side, and hold the discs fine. Used without incident so far. They sit on a shelf next to each other like 'records' with an A to D, E- J etc etc
 

Jeff

Distinguished Member
Thanks, I'll take a look.
 

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom