1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD-DVD Announces supporters

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by pdundas, Nov 29, 2004.

1. pdundas

pdundas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No real new news, but Toshiba have announced today that Paramount, Warner (inc. New Line) & Universal will be supporting the (USA) launch of HD-DVD at the end of 2005 with software. Most of these had been predicted but it's now more official.

So it looks as if we have:

HD-DVD: Warner, Paramount, Universal
    Blu-Ray: Columbia, MGM
    Leaning towards Blu-Ray: Fox
    Not Known: Disney

My guess is that if Universal are going to support HD-DVD, Dreamworks will too.

HD-DVD still looks in target for being on sale by the end of 2005. None of these are exclusive of course so some studios might have a foot in both camps.

2. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    I think the non-exclusive commitment to HD DVD is quite significant. Let's hope it removes the need to buy 2 separate format players. :smashin:

Steve

3. pdundas

pdundas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You won't get any studio to say "exclusive" just in case they've picked the wrong horse. I don't think even Sony has ever mentioned the "exclusive" word with regard to Blu-Ray.

I thought, to be honest, there would be a last minute deal done to make one format as there was with DVD but I think we're now too far down the line time wise for this to happen. I really think both formats are going to launch and we're going to have a format war.

4. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    I think competition is good as it brings prices down and gives us more useful features. Just as long as the content providers put their material out on both formats - but I can't quite see Columbia putting out any HD DVDs. :D

Steve

5. pdundas

pdundas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If/when Columbia launch any titles on HD-DVD you can assume Blu-Ray is dead.

If/when Warner Bros. launch any titles on Blu-Ray you can assume HD-DVD is dead.

The others: who knows?

6. Wilt

Wilt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Hi

I'm interested in getting one of the new formats for hi-def video but a work pal of mine say he is already watching hi-def from current DVDs. He has a Pioneer plasma connected via HDMI to Denon DVD player which upscales pictures to 720 and 1080. Will the new formats give better pics?

Kind regards

Wil

7. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Yes.
    Your friend is using electronics to add/fill in video data to increase PAL and NTSC resolution dvd's to 720p and 1080i formats.
    No matter how good that upscaling is (even broadcast quality hardware) you will be forever chasing the picture quality that would be the norm for video that was created at high def resolutions in the first place.

However if you have a suitable display right now using scaling/deinterlacing hardware to "upgrade" dvd and other digital sources gives you the best picture quality you can get with the exception of the few WM9 coded movies and other HD downloads/demos played via the PC.

8. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Looks like there will be few HD-DVD players and few BluRay discs seeing that most electrical companies are behind BR

9. Cliff

Cliff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,694
    Pity they can't get together so we can have just one format. Competition at this stage is not always the best thing as we can end up with an inferior product because of better marketing- remember VHS and Betamax. Also two products in the market place make people hold off as they don't want to back the wrong horse.

10. Quickbeam

Quickbeam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Following on from the news that the 'vast majority' of Sky's HDTV programming be HDMI-only, I can't help wondering if HD-DVD/Blu-ray are going to go down the same route. Sky's hand was surely forced by the content providers (namely Hollywood) who, unsurprisingly, are demanding the highest possible level of copy protection for next gen broadcasting systems. It seems almost inevitable that next-gen DVD player manufacturers will do likewise, however much it may damage sales in the short term.

11. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    I think you can pretty much bank on HD DVD and Blu-ray players only allowing HD from HDMI outputs. Even with today's DVD licensing, component outputs are limited to maximum of 480p and 576p.

Steve

12. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Indeed, it would be almost shocking if the movie industry after lumbering region control and copy protection onto DVD would then ignore a far more advanced and flexible system such as HDCP which will be embedded in all digital hardware (enforced by license restrictions etc) for the payback and recording of HD material.

Any broadcaster/distributer who wants HD movies from Hollywood will more than likely have to support HDCP be it via digital broadcasts or pre-recorded media.