1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD DVD and Blu Ray merger seems possible

Discussion in 'TVs' started by indyjones, May 10, 2005.

1. indyjones

indyjones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Here's an article I found in the German Boersenreport (from the end of April). There are hopes yet.

"Sony Corp. and Toshiba Corp. are discussing a new unified standard for next-generation DVD format, according to a Financial Times report on Thursday. Executives from the two firms are stepping up negotiations on the possibility of merging Sony`s Blu-ray disc technology with Toshiba`s HD-DVD format, Financial Times reported.

A solution to end the standoff between their competing products will come out as early as this month, said the Nihon Keizai business daily.
    The two rivals have been making efforts to have their technological standards adopted by the industry.

With a storage capacity of up to 50 Gigabyte for Blu-ray, the standard is considered more advanced than its competitor. HD DVD might be limited to 30 Gigabyte, but it is already on the market and is less expensive.

Sony says of the possible deal, "In the area of next-generation optical discs, we continue to be open to discussions with supporters of other formats consistent with our focus," said a Sony spokeswoman. "We can`t comment on specifics beyond that at this time."

2. HSC

HSC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    I heard that Toshiba have just demo'ed a 45Gb three layer HD-DVD
    and that Disney may be about to switch over to the HD-DVD camp due to lower costs

if true it certainly sounds good enough to make the Dark Side (Sony) - think more about unification.....

3. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
  4. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Since Bluray has more development potential - eg holds more data this means if HD-DVD wins we are in a Beta/Vhs situation again - the worse format wins :mad:

With most of the big hardware companies behind Blu Ray could we end up with players and no discs and discs with no players

5. HSC

HSC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    a 2hr movie encoded on HD-DVD (VC9) only takes up about 12-14Gb of space
    a extra 5Gb on Blu-Ray is not a big advantage - so why would you say HD-DVD is the worse format...?

even if I look at the issue with my PC head on - the massive capacities on these new optical disks are only going to be useful when storing Large files. anyone who has tried to backup many small files onto DVD9 will know this.....

end of the day a business as big as this is motivated by cost
    the major reason betamax lost out to VHS is cost
    cost of hardware manufacture
    and the cost the end consumer paid for the software

HD-DVD has already proved it can be made at only slightly higher costs than current DVD. Whereas Blu-Ray requires completly new fabrication facilities.
    So do you want to pay £15-£20 for a HD-DVD movie or £25-£30 for a Blu-Ray movie - when end of the day you're still getting HD.....

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,268
    HSC has a good point. You can almost fit a High Definition movie on a standard dual later DVD - obviously if you add lossless DTS/DD soundtracks it's going to take up a little more space - but still well within the capacities of single/dual layer HD DVD discs.

A lot of users seem sold on the idea of BluRay have upto 8 layers (200GB). Such mammoth storage sounds impressive but won't be required for movies until Ultra High Def starts to appear 10 years from now. By then who knows what other technology will have found it's way into production or how far compression technology has evolved.

Furthermore, call me a cynic, but (taking the example of Sony) as they can't even ensure compatibility between their own DVD-RW recorders and 4x DVD-RW media how are they going to do so for multi-layered BluRay? The answer is they won't and we will need to upgrade - I have no real problem with that but people seem under the impression that they will buy a BluRay player tomorrow and that will be it forever. BluRay or HD DVD - whichever wins you'll still be upgrading a few years later anyway.

7. indyjones

indyjones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    As long as the HD movies will fit on the disc, I don't care if it's HD DVD, or Blu-Ray, no matter what the theoretical capacities of each disc are, as long as the products are affordable and I don't have to buy 2 players.

If HD movies take up 10-15 Gb, and the discs can hold 1000000000Gb, it makes no difference to me. And when they do come out with a new product in 10 years, I'm sure it will be downwards compatible with DVD and HD DVD.

So, if possible, give us one format, make it soon, and stop argueing!!! (this message is directed to the cats and dogs).

Indy :thumbsup:

8. Tojal City

Tojal City
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    OK. But what about recording, do we have to wait 3 years to have HD-DVD recording, like what is happening now with DVD. Do we have to pay the triple to have a digital recorder.

I still use my old VHS to record stuff from television. If HD-DVD wins this battle, that means I still have to maintain my VCR.
    No thank you.

I want a format that is comparable with the VHS, record and read at the same time. Not another DVD crap, who reads only and record’s 5 years later.

Blue-Ray all the way. Expensive but future prove. HD-DVD cheap but with a very shot time span.

9. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Sorry to disagree with you HSC but the reason Sony lost the betamax/vhs format war wasn't down to costs, it was mainly due to the fact that they didn't have the distribution partners to back them up and sell movies in betamax unlike their VHS rivals. Ultimately it came down to the backing of all the major film studios and distributors to the VHS camp, a mistake that nearly cost Sony their company and something they're at pains never to repeat - see what they've done since with playstation.

At the end of day the role of the film distributors may again play a large role on deciding who wins this war and may indeed force the various factions into producing a unified or at the very least compatible format.

10. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,268
    HD-DVD has two recordable formats: HD DVD-RW and HD DVD-R. BluRay likewise has ReWriteable (BD-Re) and write-once (BD-R) recordable media. You should be more concerned about precisely what are you going to record? Odds are that Sky HD services will not be recordable (other than on Sky+). Until terrestial HD starts there will be nothing to record!

Get a DVD recorder man!

11. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,268
  12. Tojal City

Tojal City
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    And do you know how expensive one is?

It´s cheaper to construct a Home Theatre PC with With a DVD+-RW drive than to buy a DVD-Recorder. They are a total robbery.

That’s what I afraid will happen if HD-DVD advances.

13. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,268
    The links in my signature probably suggest I do :) Seriously you can get a decent DVD recorder for under £180 now that will last you a good number of years. Much better than a VCR!

14. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    I've seen DVD recorders for as little as £99 now ( Sainsbury's sells one as does Argos) Now I know they will not be up to quality of the better ones from Sony/Panasonic etc. but they will still produce a recording endlessly better than VHS and you can still pay twice that amount for a VHS player.

15. Tojal City

Tojal City
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the tips.

I will probably buy the Sony with the 160 hard-drive, and costs around 700 euros.

But still, what I afraid is the route that HD-DVD will follow, probably the same path of normal DVD, and that’s why I favour Blue Ray.

16. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,268
    :confused: Not sure I get what you mean?

17. paulfoley

paulfoley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Announced today that it will have Blu Ray Movie Playback via HDMI. Will also support 720P, 1080i & 1080P.

Most Sony Consoles have launched at £299 or less, surely the battle is over?

:rolleyes:

18. Quickbeam

Quickbeam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The battle is over? I don't think so. It will be years before the average console owner has access to an HDTV display. The real battle between the XBox 360 and PS2 will be between the games, and how they look on SDTV. That's why Microsoft took the decision to use DVD rather than HD-DVD or Blu-ray, as it allows them to avoid the delays and uncertainties that surround the next-gen formats at the moment.

19. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,268
    BluRay's problem is, and never will be, lack of hardware. It will be lack of software - without more movie studios backing the format it is going nowhere other than being a removeable ROM/RW for PS3 and a high capacity standard def recording format (at present at least!).

HD DVD is the opposite. It has tons of movies and software coming to it but only a couple of hardware producers (Toshiba, Thompson, Samsung, Sanyo).

20. rob_finch

rob_finch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Microsoft haven't even ruled out HD DVD or Blu Ray, seen it talked about in a couple of interviews like this - http://www.joystiq.com/entry/1234000597043723/. Toshiba should be trying to make sure it's used in the Xbox 360, if they want to compete with Sony.

Besides, if hardware and discs are already available, maybe it's too late to unify the formats?

21. Evil Engineer

Evil Engineer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    None of the movie studios that have committed titles to HD-DVD have said that this will be EXCLUSIVE.

If there is a demand for Blu-Ray movies from PS3 users it'll get serviced. These guys are in it to make money after all.

22. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,268
    You're quite right. But, as things stand right now, there are dozens of movies coming to HD DVD and squat all to BluRay. I will be buying HD DVD at the end of this year, BluRay has yet to get a sale (but will as well if they can come up with something decent).

Although as alot of them have vested interests in the 0.6mm market you have to question how quickly any of them will adapt. Bottomline is nobody knows for sure yet - not even the studios themselves.