1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD+ Dropped frames or something?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by charker, Mar 15, 2005.

1. charker

charker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I have an iScan HD+ plugged into a 50" Panasonic V7 plasma and I can't put my finger on it but sometimes the SKY+ picture goes "slow-mo" on me.

Do these things drop frames or anything?

If I go to PAL 75Hz it's terrible, jerky all the time.

So far as I can tell it's set up using 1366x768, 50Hz locked and with an overscan of about 3 and the picture looks great most of the time.

It's just sometimes it looks "odd". Someone in the picture turns their head and it does not look natural. As I say I can't put my finger on it exactly.

any ideas what I'm seeing or think I'm seeing?

Charker

2. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    This is normally caused by dropped frames as the hd is getting confused between
    detecting film or video material. Try setting the film mode to "off" under the input settings - this should sort it...

JJ

3. charker

charker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    JJ

Thanks I'll try that.

What exactly does film mode do, look for 24 frames or something?

Charker

4. ihan

ihan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    The downside about this solution, is that when film material is present, you won't be benefiting from film mode deinterlacing which looks much better.

Regards,
    Ian

5. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Yeah, its a trade off between the using film mode detection and how much the slow-mo bothers you...

JJ

6. PhilB1234

PhilB1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can confirm that switching off Film Mode sorted this same problem out for me. It seemed particularly present when there were scene changes, as if the change in picture caused the scaler to start assessing the picture again. I rarely (never?) use Sky for films so it poses no problem for me......

7. charker

charker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Thanks for the feedback

I have it set to "film bias" all along (not Auto).

Is it normal that the 75Hz setting for PAL is totally unwatchable when fed with SKY though RGB. It seems odd that a standard setting is just useless.

I must say I'm surprised, it's like the standard Scaler in the Plasma does a fairly good job of scaling the picture and never visibly drops frames yet an £800 dedicated processor does.

Am I asking too much that a dedicated box shouldn't just kick out 3 frames per frame @ 75Hz without screwing it up. Or is it the panel?

Perhaps it's an analog thing, would it disappear with DVI connected to the Panel? Could it be a PAL thing or an RGB thing?

I think what I'm saying is that it's damn well not good enough, there I said it :devil:
    Charker

8. charker

charker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Does seem to be a SKY thing, the 75Hz stuff seems OK with DVD's.

Anyone done the SDI mod to SKY+, any thoughts?

Charker

9. Rob100

Rob100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Something pointed out to me last week by Stoomonster is the Panasonic PWx's convert the frame rate when fed with something other than 48, 50 or 60Hz (there may be other frequencies, but these are the only useful one's). I don't know what they convert to by I'd assume 60Hz.

See this thread....

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194061

I think this is why 75Hz looks so bad. It always looked bad on my PW5 - now I know why.

Also regarding film mode, it's not just movies that are recorded on "film" rather than "video". Quite a bit of (newer) stuff on TV these days is film based. I don't know what "info" the iScan gives you, but using dScaler with a SweetSpot you can see the de-interlacing being performed, be it some kind of video de-interlacing or 2:2 pulldown for film. I had to tweak dScaler to stop it switching to film mode too quickly as this looked terrible when applied to video sources - this is definately what you are seeing.

Rob.

10. charker

charker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Rob100

Excellent link, it all makes a bit more sense now. So it is the panel and 48, 50 or 60Hz it will be from now on!

That scrolling white bar on my HD+ makes more sense now as well :thumbsup:

Cliff

11. Pottsy

Pottsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have always thought that the terrible effects are caused by TV production companies applying some fancy film "effect" that simulates the film side-effects you see when watching on an interlaced TV. When the iscan sees this stuff, it loses the plot. I have noticed that in Auto, real film and unadulterated video looks great. Fake "film" documentaries look terrible. In film mode off, all is fixed, and even film looks just as good (oddly).