HD Distribution

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by daftpunk1, Aug 4, 2013.

1. daftpunk1

daftpunk1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I am toying with the idea distributing hd around the home, have been reading a few threads and it seems easy enough but maybe im wrong...

I want to have my sky hd box in the attic out of the way. I can run two cat6 cables down each conduit to the living room, 2 bedrooms and kitchen..

I have seen these hdmi to cat6 baluns, I presume I need 8, 1 behind each tv, thats four, then 4 four in the attic...

Could someone recommend an appropriate box assuming that this method is correct...

Neet® - HDMI Extender over Cat5 / Cat5e / Cat6: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

That just leaves the splitter box or matrix box as Ive heard them called...i have seen all different types, 4x4 4x2....

I think the one I need is 1 input, sky box goes into this, and then four outputs and the baluns go into these and then cat6 cables from each room go into the baluns..

What Im saying...is this correct..? I need the box to be 3d capable and since my sky box is in the attic I need some way to change the channel in the rooms, im using little magic eyes at the minute but since that works through my analogue distribution I take it they will be obsolete...

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  2. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    A splitter and a matrix are different things.

A Matrix has multiple inputs and outputs so you can "matrix" inputs and outputs allowing TVs to watch any combination of inputs. A splitter just distributes the same thing to all outputs.

You maybe better with Splitter in your scenario as you only have one source, and you could then use a HDMI Splitter over CAt5/6 like HDMI splitter 1 input 8 outputs over twin CAT5e 6 cable with 8 receivers.

With regard to the IR you could still continue to use the Magic Eye system as it will still work over your RF/Coax even if you are not using it for video.

Alternatively the splitter detailed above can also carry IR

3. daftpunk1

daftpunk1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  4. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Not quite the same thing as the box i recommended also handles the CAt5/6 distribution so no need for for the extenders as well as this is built in. So saving you quite a bit

Seb

5. daftpunk1

daftpunk1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Dont think I will be spending this much on this little project. Will go for the antiference hdmi splitter and get some baluns...

The neet ones are good and expensive but I was told to pick the baluns according so that they will let ir pass and also if you get good ones you can just run one cat6 cable, not two...

6. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Hi

The Neet ones certainly arent expensive, they are some of the cheapest ones around.

The only proper way of running HDMi over Single Cat5/6 is using HDBaseT extenders, and these are around £350per pair. Be very careful with any other single CAT5/6 solution as could be a problem.

We offfer the dual CAT5/6 with IR HDMI Over Dual Cat5e 6 with Infrared Pass-Thru but £118 per pair.

BTW HDMI over CAt5/6 are usually sold in pairs as one is a sender and one is a receiver, that is true of the Neet ones you have linked to as well so you would only need 4.

7. daftpunk1

daftpunk1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    If my splitter box supports ir do I also need to buy baluns that support ir....

The neet ones at £35 dont seem to support it and will probably have to spend £60 a pair for baluns that state ir compatible...

But if the splitter box is capable of sending the signal then surely theres no need for the baluns to do it...

8. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Yes they will need to support IR as otherwise how would you get the IR from the TV positions to the splitter ?

9. daftpunk1

daftpunk1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I understand. My friend is also looking to distribute sky vs but only needs it sent to one other room. I did suggest a wireless hd sender. Are we talking the same process as above but just using a 2 way splitter

10. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Yes that would be the same process. I would avoide Wireless HDMi products as they only seem to work rarely and when the equipment is in the same room!

11. daftpunk1

daftpunk1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Yea, read that myself that most of them have interference. You dont rate any of them as my friend would probably pay the extra as they are easy to fit and flexible, you could move them to different devices very easily...

12. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    They all use the same technology and just are not worth the risk, we have tried many and had very little success even if in the same room sometimes. They certainly hav etrouble through any decent wall.

We have even had interference just by someone walking in front of the transmitter

13. daftpunk1

daftpunk1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I'm just looking a good recommendation for cat6 cable. I will be pulling it through plastic conduits in the walls, I know there are different variations, shielded, unshielded, etc. Ive got Ethernet crimpers and testers I used for cat5e cables, will these work ok for cat6, it is just standard th45 connectors used on cat6, yeah?

14. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    We generally only use excel cable and components, not the cheapest but fewer issues later.

Yes your crimpers and testers should work fine

15. TVR Driver

TVR Driver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi

Use the best cable you can!
    As Aclass says less issues.
    SCP HNC PRO PLUS is HD BASE T certified. So would use this every time!
    Un shielded as you tend to get less problems with un shielded cables. A badly terminated shielded cable is not a shield but an aerial!
    I am still a believer in Wyrestorm hdmi matrix. support is great!

16. daftpunk1

daftpunk1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
  17. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,513
    The IR Extender you link to is a totally non-standard point to point solution – there is no provision to have multiple Transmitter units communicating with a single Receiver unit.

The IR Extender you link to is designed to work on either end of an HDMI cable – again it’s a non-standard solution which may/may not work for you, assuming it does work there is no mention of then using it over an ‘extended’ connection!

If you want a budget solution you may be better leaving your IR over RF distribution ‘Sky Magic Eye’ system in place in addition to your HDMI Distribution solution.

3D can be tricky where all of your TV’s don’t support 3D – you then require a Distribution Amp with on-board EDID management.

As Seb says single CAT technology falls into two camps – Proprietary (you have no idea how they are making it work) or those built around HDBaseT or HDBaseT-lie (an add on chip set being widely adopted across HDMI vendors).

We have a 1 x 1 + 3 Dual CAT solution that may fit your requirements (and budget) - Media Factory - Octava HD14CATDA-UK, 1x4 HDMI over CAT5 distribution amp.

Joe

18. daftpunk1

daftpunk1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I have this splitter box here that is IR compatible, it working with the above IR kit I bought for £20.

But this is only giving me control of the sky box in one room. My question is, do I have to buy a £20 ir kit each time for each room. Like, the kit contains a transmitter thats plugs into hdmi splitter box and then a receiver to go into tv.

Obviously only one transmitter is needed for hdmi splitter box, but could do with four receiver ends...just annoyed as it appears I need to buy both...

19. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    I think unfortunately they are sold only as a kit, I will ask though as I know the guys at Antiference and maybe they have some separate ones as a one off.

20. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,513
    HDMI doesn't support IR within the HDMI spec - the device you are using is a non standard implementation and won't work with all kit combinations.

Multiple IR Transmitters feeding a Single Receiver will require some fancy circuitry within your Distribution Amp.

Joe

21. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501