1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD demos at Comet

Discussion in 'TVs' started by stanleyntl, Aug 31, 2005.

1. stanleyntl

stanleyntl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    My local Comet has several screens fed via DVI from a PC running HD material.
    While photographic looking, I wasn't blown away by it, despite the extra resolution and sharpness. Will 720p SKY be enough of an improvement over DVD?

I watched two Philips 32" lcd models 5520D and 7520D side by side. I could see the improved contrast and black levels of the 7520, but this also exhibited mpeg blocking for some reason - pixel plus?
    The menu system was a pig on both, and I couldn't locate advanced settings for picture.
    I think many of HD's benefits will be lost on such a small screen size - unless you want to sit within a few feet of the screen.
    This side by side demo also illustrates the fact that HD will vary somewhat between screens. The HD ready logo is too generic and no indication of HD ability PQ-wise!! :rolleyes:

2. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +825
    I believe those demonstrations were using WMVHD files run from a PC, and are not really any better than upscaled DVD, except perhaps when there is very little motion. I saw those demos in my local shops, and they seemed to have lots of artifacts - not really a very good advertisement for HD, which is rather a shame. 720p from Sky HD should be rather better than that, and HD-DVD and Blu-Ray rather better again.

Nick

3. rogeralpine

rogeralpine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Depends upon which clips you saw. I haven't paid huge attention to the material, but on the few occasions I've been in store, I've seen differences in the quality of the material being shown - some very good, others not so!

4. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    Alot of them WMVHD content shown are pretty old, and the machine they use is not the fastest, your will be blown aaway when you see the Batman 1080P in WMVHD or Punisher 720P, but of course they don't have access to that kind of content only what their given by the manufacturer...

5. Rimmer

Rimmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is the Sky demo in Comet 720p?

I found the 6 screen Sky demo quite disappointing on both the LCDs and the plasmas I saw it running on in Comet. There were large variations in colour between all the screens, one of the LCDs had severe edge enhancement issues (presumably the sharpness set at 100%), while the PV500 picture was too soft. I noticed blocking as well, presumably caused by overcompression. Still, what can you expect from Comet.

The best HD demo I have seen recently was on a 42PV500 in John Lewis. The source was a Panasonic Hi-Vision HD recorder feeding a Hi-Vision receiver (presumably using Hi-Vision gear for demos is a cheaper option for Panasonic than an HCPC). The picture was absolutely flawless.

6. rogeralpine

rogeralpine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...agree, but compared to the "usual" coaxial feed they share between 1000 tv's in the shop, it's positively awesome!! :D