1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD D45 spectrum (rainbow) effects

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by jonathan, Feb 26, 2005.

1. jonathan

jonathan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had my set for 10 days or so now, & am happy overall with it, but while I did not notice any spectrums initially, now I've noticed them I have to say they are starting to bug me a bit. I hadn't noticed any at all up till I was watching some old b/w DVD footage from the early 70's. Now I've noticed them any dark(ish) scenes from either DVD or Sky seem to display these symptoms, so I am increasingly trying not to divert my attention from one part of the screen to another too quickly so as to keep it to a minimum (quite difficult being only 3m away from the screen). Have tried adjusting the settings to improve things a bit but without much success. Does this spectrum effect bother anyone else much?

2. jerkyboy

jerkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apart from the rainbow effects, how does the TV perform ?.

Are the blacks, really black. Is the geometry spot on ?.

Are you getting any green tinge via component (progressive) ?.

I have one of these sets on order, am I going to be impressed !!.

3. jonathan

jonathan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm happy with the set overall, the blacks are fine, no problems with the geometry, & no green tinge at all on component although I'm only using a budget player without prog scan at present. Although a low end player (Tosh) the DVD picture is still stunning, the main improvement over my old CRT being the depth of the images displayed. The pic off air is very dependent on the signal quality fed. I find in my area (Kent) that Channel 4 & 5 tend to be better that BBC1, 2 or even ITV1. Although having said that, for some reason even programmes on the same channel can tend to differ in PQ from one another. My main gripe are these spectrum effects (to these eyes spectrum is a better description than rainbow) which at times can be a bit of a nuisance. I would certainly recommend that if anybody thinks that they may be susceptible to this takes along a DVD with some dark passages to give the set a thorough testing.

4. NPM108

NPM108
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Jonathan, I read your post with great interest because I thought I wasn't prone to Rainbow/Spectrum effects, in that I never noticed them with my Infocus 4805 DLP projector.

However on the Samsung SP46 that I just got, I can see a green flash with screen movements on logo's etc or in general on the picture and it seems far more pronounced. My own personal research (and I could be wayyy wrong) is that when you are tired or specifically your eyes are tired you see them more!

Still its quite annoying I agree, but the PQ on these sets is something else :)

5. jonathan

jonathan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey,in that case I must be constantly knackered! We've just finished watching Master & Commander on DVD tonight (great speaker workout) & again these spectrums were very apparent throughout. I'm beginning to get into the habit of blinking slowly(!) as this coupled with not looking too rapidly from one side of the screen to the other seems to help.

6. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi i saw a picture somebody posted of the HD45 & the picture looked as if it was sharpened too much are there any controls to adjust sharpness on HD45 might be worth trying.

7. jonathan

jonathan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It has got sharpness adjustment, I've tried all sorts of twiddling with the settings to improve this but nothing much seems to work. I've got one of those DVE discs coming so maybe that may help.

8. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    When you play the DVE it will tell you how sharpness controls are not needed with current TV/video standards. They in fact can make the picture worse.

9. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If the set comes with the sharpening set too high they will be very usefull in toning it down. Try setting a high radius & vary the amount to suit.You should also note down the current settings before u start fiddling.
    I don't have a HD45 myself but i do know about the effects of over sharpening a picture from using Photoshop on the PC hope this help's

10. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,711
    mmmm, are we just talking about DLP rainbows here or is this effect people seem to be complaining about another thing entirely? I know some people are susceptible to rainbows and some aren't but this sounds like a more fundamental problem. I was all set on ordering one of these but I've got my doubts now...

Cheers
    Andy

11. Bruce1310

Bruce1310
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It sounds very much like DLP rainbows to me...I have had the HD-D45 for three weeks and have only noticed it on a couple of occasions.

B.K

12. jonathan

jonathan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It does vary immensely from broadcast to broadcast & DVD to DVD. To these eyes it tends to be when a scene is predominently dark but with the odd bright subject (eg. a candle burning or a light bulb). It can be quite annoying. I haven't done a search on plasma/LCD forums so don't know if this is DLP mspecific or not.

13. jh-65

jh-65

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I took delivery of my Sagem HD-D45 on 01MAR and was thrilled to bits with it for the first week, contrast, sharpness, black levels, colour, depth, geometry & PC DVI-D quality are spot on. But (a VERY big but!), I decided to watch "Gladiator" last weekend and became a victim of the notorious "rainbow-effect". This is a good movie with dark scenes containing candles that highlight these "rainbows". Now that I am conscious of them, I now see them nearly all the time no matter what I watch and this has really spoiled the enjoyment of what could have been an excellent TV. Please note that this may affect more people than you think, 2 out of the 5 other people who watched the film that night also noticed them when I mentioned it, we all sat an average of 10ft from the TV. I'm sorry to say that this is a total show-stopper and the TV is being picked up this Friday. There appears to be a new type of DLP on the horizon called Sequential Colour Recapture (SCR) where DLP engines will house a new type of colour wheel with a “Spiral of Archimedes” RGB colour pattern rather than the common 7-segment wheel. This new technology is being rumoured to rival the current quality of 3-chip DLP Cinema systems and totally eliminate the problems with current DLP TVs. I'm not sure if/when this type of DLP will be available in the UK and at what price. In the interim, I may just settle for the Pioneer PDP435XDE HD plasma. Most DLPs appear to have the same problem with "rainbows" after I decided to check them out last Sunday. By the way, my Sagem DOES show a green tinge when using progressive scan via component input, setting my DVD player to interlaced eliminated this problem. I bought the Sagem from John Lewis and they agreed to take it back with no fuss or penalty. If in doubt, arrange a home demo for a few days to see if you're affected as an hour or so in-store demo isn't long enough to highlight these problems. In my opinion, I reckon the HD-D45 is the best out there for image quality (photo attached of live Freeview broadcast) and connectivity even though the speakers are tacky (poorly constructed and buzz a lot when watching analogue TV) and are very awkward to fit. I think I'm just too fussy for my own good! Wouldn't a slim 45" CRT be nice if there was such a thing?

Attached Files:

14. Riva

Riva
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hve had my HD-D45 for a week now and I am slowley getting the settings to my liking, I must say, however that I have not noticed any rainbow or spectrum effects ....yet. I am super critical when it comes to the quality of my purchases and I have tried many different dvd`s from Toy story2 (stunning) to Sky Captain (which has alot of dark scenes) with no ill-effects. I am viewing the screen from approx 4.5M away. All in all I am very impressed with the look and design of the unit and when I finally decide on a suitable DVD player with DVI-D conectivity I will post the pucture quality findings!

chris

15. n00b

n00b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    i have had the tv for a few days now and i noticed no rainbow... until.. last night i was watching badboys via dvd (component) and i saw rainbow once every few mins, mainly because i had to move my eyes from one part of the screen to another during action sequences. i will try a few more dvd's tonight. this is so annoying. how can i reduce this? increase the brightness? decrease the brightness? :(

16. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Were you watching in the dark? it might help to have room lighting

17. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504
    n00b

I feel sorry for you, I have an RD set and do not suffer this problem. From what i have read some people are more sensitive to this than others. How close are you sitting form your screen?

18. jonathan

jonathan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have now tried settings my set up from the DVE disc I had on order when I started this thread & it has made no difference at all to these spectrums. If I have understood the procedure correctly, my set is now running at far lower brightness, contrast & colour than at default & the picture is a definite inprovement........after dark! Our lounge is very bright, triple aspect & south/southwest facing. I find that I have to change the image setting to standard/cinema or sport if the sun is out as otherwise it is unwatchable. Also whilst the picture is far better with the DVE adjustments, the face distortion problem seems a bit worse off-air.