1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD D45 SPDIF problem

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by jonathan, Apr 27, 2005.

1. jonathan

jonathan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have had my set for a while now & have noticed the lip sync problem on certain DVD's. I finally got round to buying a coax to feed into the SPDIF on the back of the set. The components from the player are into AV5 on the rear of the set (as suggested in the manual). I have the setting to SPDIF - AV5 in the menu but I am getting no sound. Any ideas?
    Thanks

2. Riva

Riva
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When viewing dvd's have you turned your tv`s internal speakers off? If not this may giv you the an echo effect - turn these off. Also re-check your digi coaxial leads -
    DVD to SPDIF IN >> SPDIF OUT to AV Reciever, tv setings for SPDIF set to AV5. If this is the case then you may have a fault. Try a dfifferent DVD player if you can borrow one to test. Changing my DVD player from Cambridge Audio DV79 to Poneer 575 sorted out all of my lipsync issues. Hope you get this sorted, as it is a fine tv.

3. jonathan

jonathan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have set the SPDIF to AV5 in the menu, and have tried swapping the co-ax with another in my hifi so I know the leads are OK. Unfortunately, I don't have another DVD player to try. But, so far as you are aware, I've not done anything wrong then? Is it just my set or do the female SPDIF plugs on the back of your set seem a bit flimsy & move around a bit as you push the male plug in?

4. Rezillo

Rezillo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I seem to have the same problem. DVD to AV5 and spdif source set to AV5 but no sound via spdif. I know the cables are ok because if I remove both spdif plugs from the back of the TV and connect them together with an inline socket, there is digital input into the AV amp and audio works.

I've tried switching off the speakers, disconnecting the analog audio cables and even reversing the spdif connections on the TV but it makes no difference. All that happens when I select AV5 in the spdif source menu while using that source is that the TV sound mutes (which is a bit of a pain when we sometimes watch dvds using the TV sound only). The dvd player is a Sony NS730p.

John

5. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    I found that, when running the digital output form the DVD through the TV, my receiver failed to recognise the incoming digital stream. Assumed that the time delay compensation in the TV was somehow scrambling the trigger signal that tells the receiver which type of audio format is incoming. I could make it work by switching the receiver off then on again, but the same problem occurred again when the layer transition occurred on the DVD.

Solution: bought a new receiver with built-in audio compensation. Works perfectly, and also sorts out the Sky+ sound as well.

Other alternative would have been to buy a dedicated Felstron audio delay box - but needed to change the receiver anyway in my case.

6. jonathan

jonathan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the next step is to contact Sagem technical & see what they have to say. I don't see why I should go replacing bits of kit just to get around the lip sync problem.

7. Colony

Colony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just saw this thread. I started one of my own a couple of days ago on the same subject.

I have a HK DVD22 player and yamaha RX-V795RDS amp. I get exactly the same probs when hooking these up via the SPIDf loop on the HD-D45, although at least the amp does recognise there is a digital signal there (but no blooming sound!!)

Did you guys get anywhere withthis? i have an engineer from john Lewis coming on saturday to look at it so will keep you posted.

8. Lion

Lion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +160
    the menu on my dvd players let you choose the type of digital sound output, one is bitstream, can't remember what the other is, maybe worth checking that the dvd player is outputting the correct type for the tv ?

9. Dan-uk

Dan-uk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have the same issue, surely there can't be that many D45's with a fault, unless its a design fault ?

10. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    I did mention this to the service manager from Sagem when he came out to update the firmware on my set, but was only in passing as I had already replaced my amp when he visited (the old one had been playing-up anyway). He didn't have any comment on this problem, which he wasn't familiar with at that stage.