1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD CRT users (in particular, those with JVC sets :D)

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by JayX, Dec 6, 2004.

1. JayX

JayX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    so many of us have these yet? mine arrived this morning at my parents' house, and i get to play with it on xmas day (i'm 23 and this is still killing me!)

what HD stuff you playing with atm, and does it look as good as it should? it says 1125i (1080i) compatable, does it use the whole 1080 lines, or does it scale these? atm my main plan is to get a HD signal from my xbox (tons of games are in 480p now (EDTV so not HDTV but still! its a crt!) and a few are in 1080i (the set alas doesn't play 720p, but for £360 (i have the 28") i have very little reason to complain) obviously i'm taking a risk cos i never auditioned it, but i've heard little bad about it when dealing with high def and high bitrate SD sources (i don't have sky digi or ntl in my room, i barely get an analog signal either as i use an indoor aerial.. my opinion is that UK TV whether digital or analogue is plain crap and i don't care about it)

but i have my eye on the quali-tv receiver and depending on how work goes and if i can get a job that pays a bit better, when i move house this summer, i might pick one up and give it a shot. is it worth spending this amount of money on a 28" tv? sure its not the biggest thing ever, but i'm a fan of quality and i think a good CRT looks cracking. i won't even change my CRT monitor for a TFT as i do a lot of video work, and i just don't like the damn things at the price level i could afford.

so anyone else who has one of these sets, or something similar and are preferably based in europe.. whats your opinion on em and what are you using em for!

edit:

also, i'm trying to compile a bunch of samples (legit ones ;) ) so i can test what my xbox is capable of putting out on the big day. obviously atm i'm just playing them in "Original" mode outputted in 480i, but its a test at least. i'm especially looking for 1080i clips in Divx/Xvid or Mpeg2/.TS formats. WMV9 is just too processor intensive, and simply won't play.

2. broona

broona

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +683
    Few clips here, look nice on my 36" JVC HDTV via my Xbox! :thumbsup:

No idea on the scaling side of things, but ALL Xbox games look nice in 480, and MX Superfly looks stunning in 1080 (only 1080 game I could find), if a little barren graphically. XBMC upscales DVD's to 480, looks nice too. Tried it set at 1080, poor thing played for 2 seconds then locked up, just a little too processor intensive. :suicide:

3. JayX

JayX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    yeah, those are the clips i grabbed, and agreed.. even tho i'm running them in "original" on a 4x3 tv (so i get the middle part of the picture only!) they do look great.. and thats in SDTV! glad to hear the xbox is perfectly capable of playing them in HD... do you have the same tv as me but in 36" then? because the p37 doesn't support 720p (and those clips are 720p) so is it upscaling to 1080i for you? or down to 480p ?

if you want to get a game that'll show off 1080i, pick up soul calibur 2. in 4x3 SD it looks good, so i can't wait to see it in 1080i widescreen. and the bonus is.. 720p is 4x3 only.. haha :D the only games i want to play in 720p are the tony hawks ones, so thats a shame. but for the price i'm paying, its not a big deal. can't wait to see my current range in 480p tho :D