Hd Content On Telewest Tvdrive

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by Oldgold, Mar 25, 2006.

1. Oldgold

Oldgold

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Does anyone know if all SkyHD content (particularly the sports), will be available through Telewest TVDrive or if you will only be able to view it by subscribing to SkyHD? If so, will it be an extra subscription or will it be available if you subscribe to the normal sky sports channels?

Thanks

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    No word on SKY HD content on the TVDrive.

Some very logical reasons for SKY to keep HD content exclusive but if they don't then TW will have to pay SKY serious money for the HD content and that would be passed onto the TVDrive subscribers.
    How they would package it is not something I could answer:)

3. ArtfulOwl

ArtfulOwl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Would not Sky provide it via the pay per veiw option.

Just becasue you don't have Sky why should you miss out, I cant have a dish, so have no choice but to go to Telewest

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    SKY do not have any PPV movie contract on cable.
    NTL/TW have their own contracts with the US studios which is why the prices are different on the two platforms.

SKY have paid the hundreds of millions upfront to secure exclusive movie and sports content, they can then choose how it is distributed in the UK.
    Given the marketing advantages of having the mainstream HD content exclusive to themselves it is perhaps no surprise nothing has been heard from either SKY or TW on the subject.
    It may be that TW are not allowed to say anything until SKY officially launches, even if TW pay SKY for the content SKY would hardly want them to be offering it before SKY subscribers get it:)

5. Booger

Booger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes but all the content that they pay so much for is available on Telewest - Sky Movies, Sport etc are all on Telewest at competetive prices. So it seems logical that that HD content wil also be available !

As Sky are charging £10 extra to their customers for the HD priviledge it seems logical that Telewest customers may have to pay the same on top of the 10 we already pay ! Hey but at least we didn't have to fork out £299 for our TV Drives !

Also Beeb have announced their HD packages, and that content will no doubt be available !

But my post, like everyone elses, is just a guess !

6. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

Yes but SKY were/are so dominant in the SD field TW and even NTL were simply no threat so SKY could allow their content to be shown and used for revenue generation.
    With HD the situation is different.
    SKY are not the first, they have no time to build a lead and therefore doing anything to help out a competitor would not be logical:)

As you say TW use the loan model when it comes to hardware so the only clear cut advantage SKY can offer to people who pay £299 for the SKY+ HD is that they have the majority of the HD content.

Yep the BBC 9 month trial (part time limited content but WC games:) ) will be carried on TW just as it will be on Dsat.

If SKY branded HD channels are on TW in the next couple of months then for people who live in a TW area (and NTL later in the year probably) have a simple choice, I can't honestly see SKY even getting 10% of the HD market in those overlapping areas.

7. ArtfulOwl

ArtfulOwl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Maybe, but compaired to Sky Digital Telewest offering is pretty poor, Digital services take an age to load, the interactive stuff is a lot less and generally the over package is less too, you cannot get the same channel lists as on Sky. So frankly if you had a choice why would you not go for Sky, I know I would :)

8. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

Yes historically cable has not proved itself hardware or content wise superior to SKY and SKY have been far from perfect:)

However for a DVR with HD capability and access to all the SKY HD channels and 90% (ish) of the SD channels with no upfront price for the hardware (which is based on the latest mpeg2 box for the US market) which may prove significantly better than the older STB's I think the choice favours TW for the majority of households especially NEW digital households.

However that is all based on TW having access to SKY HD content otherwise I think the SKY offering despite the upfront costs speaks for itself:)