1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD Connections

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by robe1101, Sep 13, 2005.

1. robe1101

robe1101
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It would appear that most new hi-def ready screens only have one HDMI / DVI connection and that on the horizon there is a multitude of kit (DVD, Sky HD, HTPC, Xbox) which will need it. At the moment only hi-end Amp like the Yamaha rx-v4600 offer multiple HDMI inputs.

My question is - can you really tell the difference between HDMI / DVI and good quality component connections ?

If everyone is going to go HDMI how will it be possible to link all the kit together to get the best picture? Will it be possible to daisy chain HDMI devices like scart?

Any opinions / suggestions most welcome ...

2. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    As far as I know there is little difference between component and HDMI. just one is analog and the other is digital.

The biggest difference is that HDMI will use HDCP which is a requirement for future products like Blu Ray and HD DVD.

This is why its a problem that most TVs still only have 1 hdmi. Im sure give time makers will start to add more than one. Toshibas new SED tvs promise to have more than one. Im sure all will follow suit.

3. scarty16

scarty16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    HDMI/DVI + HDCP = Picture and Sound
    Componet = No Picture

If content provider so chosses

4. lordnoize

lordnoize
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can HD be transmitted by VGA cabling..?

5. Ian Ball

Ian Ball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    You could always buy a switcher. There are several on the market that offer 4 HDMI inputs with one HDMI/DVI output connection to your tv. Must admit though that it is both tedious and annoying that HDTV manufacturers continue to offer new ranges with only 1 HDMI input. These people are not stupid so there must be a reason for their continuing to do so when they know people are going to need more. JUst wish I knew what it was !!

6. jw250

jw250

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I can't understand why a manufacturer would design a HD tv and put only 1x HDMI socket on it. Anyone who uses one HDMI socket (for SkyHD for e.g.) will very likely to be the sort of person who will use HDDVD or Blu-ray and a PS3 or XBox. I make that 3 HDMI sockets at lease with none to spare. You could argue that we could use DVI as another HD digital socket and a component connection as a third. But what if Sky moviesHD and Blu-ray only work through HDMI due to the copyright issue? Surely PS3 will play BluRay DVDs? This may need to be connected via HDMI to take advantage of this feature.

The only possibility I can think of is that it costs to add these sockets now and when there are no HDMI devices available here other than standard def DVD players, manufactureres don't see the 'instant' selling point. That would be a very short-term-ist attitude though. I would definitely spend more on a TV with multiple inputs. In fact, I'm waiting for one...

7. DanDT

DanDT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    PS3 will play BDROM movies and like any other HDDVD or BlueRay player, to get the full HD picture, you'll need to plug it through HDMI - component will probably show you a 480p image maximum due to the lack HDCP. It's still not 100% if there will be a total lack of signal or if the HD resolution of the movie will just be displayed as 480p. Everyone seems to think the latter is correct.

There are also HDMI boxes, much like the SCART boxes, where you can plug lots of things, and it comes out from one. So, have 3 HDMI devices plugged into the box, and plug the box output to the HDTV. Only one works at the same time, and you will only ever need to watch one at any one time. Not sure what the cost for a box like this will be, but the SCART ones are fairly cheap, i expect price for the HDMI ones to drop very quickly as demand rises.

Toshiba already makes an HDTV sold in the UK with 2 HDMI sockets.