1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD clips onto a DVD disk?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Joe Pineapples, Jan 13, 2005.

1. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +868
    Downloaded a lot of the 720 and 1080 clips and watched them on the monitor. Went into Sevenoaks today and they have the HD ready Pioneer 50 & 43 plasma's connected, with HD dvd players (arcam)

Is there a way to put the downloaded clips onto a dvd in a format the player will rcognise as HD, or would this lose the quality?.

cheers

joe

2. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,509
    I think you just record it as data and the dvd decodes it. Nero should do it.

3. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Aren't the Arcam players just SD DVD players with on-board HD upconversion? (Or do they play HD MPEG2,4 or VC-1/WM9 video as well?)

4. SamirP

SamirP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32

Yes they just upscale SD to HD (720p & 1080i)

5. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    That is what I thought - so they are really SD (480/576) DVD players with HD outputs - not to be confused with DVD players that can replay HD content which is natively 720/1080.

I think we'll have to wait for HD-DVD (the standard) or BluRay, for full HD replay from a DVD-style machine.

6. RecordablDVDfan

RecordablDVDfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Does'nt the new Panasonic S97 show full HD DVD ? It seems to play any format around at the moment incl DVD RAM and any MPEG 4 / Divx format, what can't it play ?! Anyone got a good price for this btw ?

7. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    AFAIK there are now DVD players on the market that support the new HD-DVD spec, nor are there any HD-DVDs available to play on them. (AIUI HD-DVD requires support for MPEG2, MPEG4 AVC H264 and VC-1 aka Windows Media)

The Panasonic player may support Divx, MPEG4, MPEG2 etc. - but whether it supports playback of HD files (rather than scaled SD playback for an HD display) I don't know. I very much doubt it supports full HD-DVD compliant replay though - as I don't believe any HD-DVD players have yet been released.

There ARE BluRay recorders on sale in Japan, to record HD off-air transmissions, but I don't think these will be compatible with all versions the new pre-recorded BluRay DVD standard, as they won't contain support for the new codecs added?

8. jasonl

jasonl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    there are Hidef Divx trailers available in their website at the moment, you can burn them into a dvd and see if the panasonic can read the divx file and play the trailers in HD

you can do this with a modded xbox and xbmc (slightly OT)

hth

9. sgauntlett

sgauntlett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wouldn't it be easier to take along a laptop with the clips encoded (WMV9, Nero AVC, DivX etc etc) and play them back either VGA or DVI (if you've got a nice laptop!)??