• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

HD Clips on XBOX

2scoops

Quick question, can ahem! a modded xbox play High Definition content that has either been transferred to it's Hard Drive or streamed over the network. Will it play back at real HD standard? and if so is there a special (COMPONENT or HDMI) cable to connect to your HDTV required?

Legal disclaimer: non copywrite HD content only on a hypothetically modded xbox

:)

Kendo76

No it's not powerful enough I'm afraid. I've transferred a couple of HD movies at 720p to mine and slow moving scenes it's ok, as soon as the camera pans or something moves it can't keep up. No good I'm afraid.

It'll handle 960x528 res clips which are quite popular, much better than SD but not as nice as HD.

cactusbob

Yes it's too slow to do much with HD material. It can however upscale lower definition video, which you can output via a component cable at either 720p or 1080i. Struggles a bit with 1080i, but otherwise looks quite reasonable.

CB

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
But the 360 can't play divx/xvid files, it'll play .ts files and WMVHD ones though.

Phantasm4489

Standard Member
Well please enlighten us as to how then, because everything else I've read says differently (apart from a hack which reencodes the video stream on the fly)

Bri Unk

Standard Member
Using Transcode 360....as long as you follow the instructions to the letter it works perfectly..http://www.runtime360.com/...The deal with it being iffy with certain codecs can easily be rectified by un-installing all the codecs on your system and just installing the ones you really need,and lets be honest we all have PC's full of crappy codecs we dont really need.Been using Transcode since the weekend it launched and I have yet to find a single file it wont play:clap: ..My 360 has become the media centre it should have been out of the box....music,pictures,movies,hi-def.

P.S. and Phantasm this is no "HACK"...just a software solution to a Microsoft created problem.

Bri Unk

Standard Member
Mines a 3200 AMD,so hardly world beating performance.....GFX card is a 6600GT but I dont think that has any impact in this case and I have only 512 MB Ram.

P.S. I have EDonkey and a BitTorrent tracker running at the same time as encoding/streaming too,so I really dont think a mega powerful PC is needed at all.

Phantasm4489

Standard Member
isnt it true that you need to do some reconfiguration on the pc side each time you want to watch a different file that needs transcoding? (thats why I referred to it as a "hack").

DynaMight

Phantasm4489 said:
isnt it true that you need to do some reconfiguration on the pc side each time you want to watch a different file that needs transcoding? (thats why I referred to it as a "hack").

That was the old way manual way, Transcode 360 does all that for you.

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
Oh I agree you can use transcode360 but I tried it and although it worked for low res files it wouldn't work with hidef files at all. Even the HR.HDTV ones wouldn't work, just kept timing out all of the time. If anyone has got it working with HR.HDTV versions or 720p files even I'd love to hear about it. Maybe my PC just isn't up to the job (P4 2.6Ghz).

Cheers,
Andy.

Bri Unk

Standard Member
Hey zAndy1....my mistake didn't realise you meant hi def divx....they didnt work for me either at first,now they work fine(AMD 3200).Read the thread(first four pages or so)over at xbox-scene http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=488108&st=0 there are lots of tips and one that explains how to configure Transcode to remove it's limitations on bandwith.I still get "Network Congestion" messages but very rarely.....read the thread carefully and follow all instructions,good luck:hiya:

E

El Geet

Bri Unk said:
Using Transcode 360....as long as you follow the instructions to the letter it works perfectly..http://www.runtime360.com/...The deal with it being iffy with certain codecs can easily be rectified by un-installing all the codecs on your system and just installing the ones you really need,and lets be honest we all have PC's full of crappy codecs we dont really need.Been using Transcode since the weekend it launched and I have yet to find a single file it wont play:clap: ..My 360 has become the media centre it should have been out of the box....music,pictures,movies,hi-def.

P.S. and Phantasm this is no "HACK"...just a software solution to a Microsoft created problem.
I haven't been able to get it to work...

I'm pretty sure it's down to conflicting codecs but I'm not sure how to clean my system of these conflicting codecs. What I don't want to happen is suddenly find I can no longer play my .ts files on the 360.

I've looked at runtime360's post on the matter but it doesn't really clear it up for me. Perhaps not the right forum for this but can anyone point me towards a way to clean codecs out leaving the ones needed for runtime's program and still able to play .ts files?

Bri Unk

Standard Member
Hi El Geet....I got a bit lucky I think,I did a full clean install of WinXP Pro with MCE so I didnt really have a bunch of codecs fouling up my system....all I have installed since are the Divx 6.1 and AC3 codecs runtime advises and since then I have installed FFDShow which has enabled me to run subtitles when streaming to the 360....try manually un-installing any YOU KNOW have been installed by yourself and dont worry too much about being able to still stream TS files as the above codecs once re-installed will work fine with your TS files(just dont un-install any windows media codecs)...good luck:smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom