HD clips look crap on my Hitachi PD5200

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by nm10721, Oct 26, 2005.

1. nm10721

nm10721
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I recently downloaded some HD clips onto my PC, including

Discoverers_720
    The_Magic_of_Flight_1080
    T2_1080
    Discoverers_720
    Discoverers_1080

I have an AMD XP3200 with 1gig of ddr400 ram and a ATI 9800 PRO graphics card. The clips run smoothly enough at both the resolutions using various media players.

I connected it via dvi to my Hitachi 5200 and I've got to say having seen some of these clips running on HD in Comet, that my Hitachi looked distinctly average and no better than Dvd quality in comparison.

Is this whats to be expected if I get Sky Hd (and it actually works) or has anyone had good results running HD on their PD 5200. Im considering selling this now as the HD looked crap

thanks

2. dan~

dan~

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    try burning the films onto a cd-r or dvd then playing it via an hd dvd player

3. flangemonkey

flangemonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Make sure you set your PC resolution to the same as the Hitachi panel's native res...

4. jedi-jae

jedi-jae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Is it really that simple? I didn't have much success trying that on mine. I know what the native resolution is, but when I put the screen into full mode, everything is still stretched.

It seems to me that the problem is that your PC isn't really outputting the files at true 720 or 1080, it's just using your screen as a giant monitor and outputs whatever screen resolution your graphics card is set to.

I have connected my PC to my 32" 5200 at 1024x768 and use full screen. My graphics card knows it is connected to an Hitachi display, I checked.

So, my desktop looks a bit stretched but when I use Quicktime 7 Pro to play HD vids at full screen they look proportionally correct (but maybe they just look ok, I can't say for sure). But I know what you mean about the quality, sometimes it looks a bit rough but I put this down to the way the video is being played via the PC's connection to the plasma.

However, in Comet, etc, they are using Media PC's to play these demo videos, and almost certainly those media machines can output correctly in 720p direct to the display.

So, for instance, an HD movie player would also output directly in the appropriate resolution and would look at least as good as any shop demo you've seen.

It seems to me that playing HD clips from a PC isn't the best way to view them.

I posted something about this recently myself without too much success; if anyone has a fool proof easy guide to displaying HD videos from a PC to a plasma or LCD screen - please post it here!

5. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,312
    SKY HD will broadcast in 1280x720p (I think that's the resolution anyway). So if you can set your PC to output 1280x720 then that'll give you an idea of what it'll look like.

Also be sure that Sharpness is not set too high. Edge enhancement can make a really nice convincing HD picture look like utter crap. Comet are yet to learn this from their in-store displays.

6. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +921
    It isn't clear what HD format Sky will broadcast in - or if they will chose a single format. Their receivers are designed to handle the 1280x720 progressive and 1920x1080 interlaced formats.

720p makes sense for sports - and is lower data rate and compresses better. 1080i makes more sense for movies - as the interlacing isn't an issue and the resolution is of benefit.

In the US NBC and CBS are 1080i, Fox and ABC are 720p.

7. lordnoize

lordnoize
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    when I output from my pc (worse spec than yours) HD looks fine, dont want to sound patronising but have you got the latest drivers?

they may have added support for better output options

8. nm10721

nm10721
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    dont know about drivers or anything, just know having seen the same clips on my friends 32" lcd, it doesn't look on the same planet. Don't get me wrong, I know seeing it on a 42" compared to 32", there will be a picture depreciation. But I should still be able to stand back and say "wow, that looks good", but I can't, cause it ain't!

That said, watching some of the xbox games throught component like Fifa Street at 720p and ATV -V- MTX at 1080i looks impressive.

9. DanDT

DanDT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144

MMM then there is "something" broken down the line... those HD videos should really make you go WOW, much more so than Xbox games running at 720p/1080i. So i'm sure there's something to be fixed with your PC connection/video card/something else...

10. jsebright

jsebright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Sounds to me like the panel resolution and the PC resolution are not matched. This will cause the image to look bad because the PC is scaling the image to its output resolution, and then the display is scaling to its own resolution.
    If you can match the PC output resolution with your panels native resolution then your windows desktop and text (this forum for example) will look clean and crisp - no smudginess, and consistent sizes to the letters.
    I believe your panel has a native resolution of 1024x1024 - unfortunately this is not a common PC resolution so you may have to work a bit harder to get the PC to output 1024x1024. The first place to look is in the display properties settings, there's a chance that you might be able to just select the right resolution, if not then you're going to need to research powerstrip...

11. dan1979

dan1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218

Huh? There are no HD DVD players.

12. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +921
    I believe that many of the 1024x1024 panels are ALiS devices that work in an interlaced manner. 1080i may be the best format to feed them - as ALiS devices crop the 1080i to 1024i.

13. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +921
    There are no "HD-DVD" players, but there are devices that will play .TS and .WMV HD video from an internal DVD ROM drive (though some struggle at high data rates from DVD), an external USB2 HD or via 100Mbs Ethernet, in HD.

Snazio, Buffalo, Link Theater all make them.

They don't conform to any major HD DVD standard - but they will replay HD video stored on a DVD ROM.

14. dan1979

dan1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    I know that, I was trying to find out what he meant by it as a lot of people seem to have been mislead and think they can play download HD clips on any dvd player that has an HDMI output and the letters HD on it like the Samsungs and he mentioned putting stuff onto CD-R's.

15. jedi-jae

jedi-jae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Right, thanks to some info from another poster here I've cracked it - at least for Media Player anyway.

What I did: connect PC to plasma at 1024x768, put it into full screen, which of course stretches everything, but...

Open media player, go to Tools and Options then Display, then Devices then Screen (this is from memory, so hopefully it's right) You should now be looking at a circle, below that is a slider that is set to "1", move it so that it is set to 1.33, then OK everything.

Open an HD video, and run it at full screen, the display change you made squashes the images horizontally, but because you have your plasma set to full screen the video will be pulled back into its correct proportion. It should look pretty darn good too. Personally I still believe that a proper HD movie will look better running from a dedicated HD device.

I just need to work out how to do the above with Quicktime 7...

16. Kalos Geros

Kalos Geros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    I don't understand, why not use Plasma's native resolution as your PC's output resolution??? Or an exact 16:9 resolution like 1280x720 or 1366x768???

17. jedi-jae

jedi-jae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    hmm, I'll try it. I see what you mean, if I had a HD movie player what would that set the screen to?

I'll have a play, I have to be honest, watching some more HD-WMV clips last night, that they should be looking better than they do, they are easily on a par with DVD, but they should really be beyond that!

18. jedi-jae

jedi-jae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thinking about this a little more...

I have some HD-WMV files and I've changed media player to display them in widescreen (1.33:1) and they look proportionally correct, but what I think I have wrong is the actual screen resolution the video is being shown on, currently I'm using 1024x768 - my standard monitor resolution simply stretched sideways on my plasma. What should I set it to to view these vids correctly?

sigh, I'm sure this is ridiculously easy, but.... :confused:

19. DanDT

DanDT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Buy a new computer and a new Plasma?

20. Kalos Geros

Kalos Geros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    You can't use the same display ratio for your PC monitor and your Plasma, the first is 4:3 the other is 16:9...you either need to set your PC to to a 16:9 resolution, ideally to that of your display...but actually if you want to keep using the 1.33:1 aspect, you should tell the WMVHD player not to correct the aspect ratio (PowerdDVD can be told not to keep the correct aspect ratio) but rather to fit the width of the clip (horizontal squeeze) to fill the screen sideways so when this is diplayed on your Plasma the aspect will be correct because the image will be streched back to it's correct 16:9 aspect ratio...this is however a somewhat worse solution because you have the streching and re-streching that kills the quality...ideally you should set yor PC's output resolution to the resolution of your Plasma display OR at least of the WMVHD clip (say 1280*720)...of course the picture will look wrong on your PC monitor, but you can easily change that bach to 1.33:1 if you are doing something using the PC monitor...hope this helps...

21. jedi-jae

jedi-jae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Sorted it. My mistake was plugging the PC into the plasma AFTER the PC was switched on, ie the graphics card didn't know it was plugged into the Hitachi display.

Once I sorted that out it was just a matter of moving through the resolutions until one appeared that fitted the screen. It works, no stretching, everything in proportion and my small collection of HD vids look great on my screen! I even ran some streaming high resolution footage from the Internet and that was perfectly watchable!

Woo Hoo.

22. Caimbeul

Caimbeul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    That wont do Jack...