• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

HD Channels not HD

V

vidigav

Anyone else miffed that they are paying an extra £10 a month for the extra HD channels onlt to find that the majority of so called HD aren't broadcasting HD signals.

Only ones that do 100% are BBC HD, Movies 9 and 10 HD, Nat Geo, History and Discovery.

All the others, Sky One HD, Sports 1 & 2 HD, Arts etc dont, press info on your remote to see for yourself.

SimplyGed

Established Member
Anyone else miffed that they are paying an extra £10 a month for the extra HD channels onlt to find that the majority of so called HD aren't broadcasting HD signals.

Only ones that do 100% are BBC HD, Movies 9 and 10 HD, Nat Geo, History and Discovery.

All the others, Sky One HD, Sports 1 & 2 HD, Arts etc dont, press info on your remote to see for yourself.

I get to watch Planet Earth in HD....that alone jusifies the £10 to me !! :D

Woodywizz

Distinguished Member

Again, this is a case of look before you buy. There is plenty of information - both on the internet and in publications - which state which broadcasts are in HD. If you are annoyed at the lack of HD content then you should have done some homework prior to purchase. For me, a tenner a month is more than justified - just for the footie alone.

Starburst

Distinguished Member

Nope.
We knew that before SKY HD officially launched and as woodywizz says if you singed up to a service without finding out what you were buying you have no one to blame but yourself.
If you have bought within the last month you can get your money back.
There is more HD on SKY1 now especially new content since we are in the new season but it's going to be many years before native HD outnumbers SD and well HD is in the same position as Colour and Widescreen were when they launched, early buyers always get a lower level of service than those who wait a few years:)

The problem of course is that there simply is not enough content to make a 24/7 SKY1 or SKY Sports native HD channel, you could only show HD but then it would be like the BBC or History HD with only a few hours a day.
The upside is that Sd content upscaled by SKY can produce better results than the STB upscaling or TV upscaling, not a big plus point but perhaps better than having part time channels.

Z

Zedd

I share your miffed-ness... I'm pleased I took the Movie package as it at least gives me something to look forward to each week. Torchwood looked pretty good too, but I got bored after a few weeks.

A couple of months ago I was sorely tempted to subscribe to the Sports channels (I think there was some golfy thing on and I was just curious as to how it would look), but I checked how many of the things they were showing were HD and thankfully changed my mind (not being a footie fan).

Despite my miffedness I'm still pleased with HD everytime I watch a program in SD!

Abbeygoo

Distinguished Member
The content available imo is well worth £10 per month. A previous poster said Planet Earth was worth that on its own and I would agree. The football, films, documentaries and US shows on SkyOne are all decent HD broadcasts and worth the extra - the content is no surprise, your lack of homework is.

C

Chamelia

People are saying " BBC HD justifies £10 a month alone".

:lease: lets not start the same old band wagon.

BBC HD FREE FREE FREE (your licence fee pays for it not your £10 sub to $ky)
Only ones that do 100% are Movies 9 and 10 HD, Nat Geo, History and Discovery. (for your £10 a month).

Also like other posts have said "do your homework before you buy":lesson:

If you don't want to pay £10 a month to $ky for HD access, buy yourself the box privately and don't pay the sub, still recieving BBC HD for FREE.:D

Me personally! its new technology for this country and if you want more than one channel for the moment we are going to have to pay for it! no matter how little content we get for our money.

wilber

Established Member
I thought Lost looked stonking last night (apart from a few glitches that I think were weather related)

Hogfather may be a bit of a one off but it shows a willingness by Sky to get HD material to us & then of course Jan will yield 24 & BSG so that's looking up. Lots of HD movies too so I'm not complaining (apart from why isn't the European Rugby in HD?)

arfster

Established Member
If you don't want to pay £10 a month to $ky for HD access, buy yourself the box privately and don't pay the sub, still recieving BBC HD for FREE.:D

Or if you have a fast-ish PC, buy a SkyStar2 card for £35, Coreavc for £10, and you can get it that way.

V

vidigav

The main reason I got Sky HD now, was the fact that its reported that the next HD box Sky do will only have HDMI connections. I've only got component connections on my LG Plasma (purchased prior to asl this HD ready stuff, and now mounted the plasma on a wall with all wires hidden in a chimney breast)

Just feel that for £10 a month there should be more HD content and a channel not descibed as ????HD when its only shoing an hour or two of HD content.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom