1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD capable crt tv?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by theGman, Oct 9, 2005.

1. theGman

theGman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am a bit confused about hi def capabilities. I keep reading about dpi's etc. The question I have is this. I have a 36" philips crt tv, 36PW9607c, that has pixel plus. Now, I've read how 'pixel plus' doubles the number of pixels and how it increases the vertical lines by a third, does this mean it would be capable of displaying hi def pictures? The tv I have just now displays a fantastic picture and I have not seen any lcd or plasma screens to challenge it. i would really hate to replace the tv for a panel with an inferior picture just for the sake of going HD. :lease:

2. TV Headache

TV Headache
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, it can't dispay HD material. The pixel plus system is only interpolating SD signals i.e. it is dividing the broadcast signal into more pixels, rather than displaying more picture true information.

Whilst you may be happy with the pictures you see now (as most people with CRTs tend to be) watching good HD footage on a big HD screen may raise your expectations somewhat.

3. theGman

theGman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What are my options with regard to to my crt tv? When everyone starts going HD will crt tv's become obselete? or will they still be able to be used using the current services ie Sky?

4. TV Headache

TV Headache
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To be honest I don't know how long Sky will carry on broadcasting SD alongside HD but given that HD is more expensive to transmit (due to higher bandwidth) and most of the TV content in the world today is SD, I would expect them to carry on broadcasting SD beyond the life of your existing TV.

And I wouldn't worry about the other broadcast platforms either. They haven't even said when they are going to start HD, never mind stop SD.