• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

HD Camcorders UK and US differences ???

uzumaki_1

Standard Member
Hi there people,

I think theres already a thread on this but I couldnt get a straight up answer from the post. Anyways am looking to a HD camcorder for my upcoming holiday and have started to look for camcorders....Its getting very expensive to buy a camcorder with the specs I want and with the budget I got. I then started looking on ebay.com and some US sites that ship to the UK. So my question is that if I buy from ebay(if everythings legit from the seller) or off a US website then will I get any problems using it here in the UK ?
Apart from the charging/power supply which I should be able to buy a UK version of, is there anything you lot can think of that will stop me from buying from the US !?

GaryB

Distinguished Member
You may get some flicker when shooting under fluorescent light due to 25Hz vs 30Hz frame differences.

GaryB

Distinguished Member
Apart from that:

1. I guess you would be liable for import duty & VAT.

2. It probably won't be CE marked, which technically means it's not legal to sell it in the UK.

3. You could have warranty issues if it goes faulty.

uzumaki_1

Standard Member
Apart from that:

1. I guess you would be liable for import duty & VAT.

2. It probably won't be CE marked, which technically means it's not legal to sell it in the UK.

3. You could have warranty issues if it goes faulty.

Owh right...so apart from that there is no technical issues like there was for pal vs ntsc back in the old days....

mmace

There will be a difference in frame rates, over here is 25/50fps, the US will be 23.976/24/29.xxx/59.xxxfps

GaryB

Distinguished Member
Owh right...so apart from that there is no technical issues like there was for pal vs ntsc back in the old days....

The difference in frame rates that mmace and I mentioned above might give you problems if you wanted to dub material onto an analogue product or input. Many UK spec. products wouldn't lock to a 30FPS signal.

glesgaguyav

There are still differences and the two standards still don't mix.

HD 60i cams still capture at 30fps/60i and HD 50i capture at 25fps/50i.

My first HD cam was a Sanyo 720p which although bought in the UK and intended for the UK market, captures video at 30fps, it worked perfectly on my HD ** and I could burn DVD's from the clips which worked on my DVD player and PS3 in HD.

The problems came when I upgraded to a Sony TG3 UK model which captures at 25fps/50i, I wanted to edit and incorporate footage from my Sanyo with footage from my Sony, from my experience it can't be done easily and without loss of quality.

If this and the other points made previously don't bother you then you should be ok

uzumaki_1

Standard Member
There are still differences and the two standards still don't mix.

HD 60i cams still capture at 30fps/60i and HD 50i capture at 25fps/50i.

My first HD cam was a Sanyo 720p which although bought in the UK and intended for the UK market, captures video at 30fps, it worked perfectly on my HD ** and I could burn DVD's from the clips which worked on my DVD player and PS3 in HD.

The problems came when I upgraded to a Sony TG3 UK model which captures at 25fps/50i, I wanted to edit and incorporate footage from my Sanyo with footage from my Sony, from my experience it can't be done easily and without loss of quality.

If this and the other points made previously don't bother you then you should be ok

Well to be honest I would prob edit the footage and then keep em on my PC because the format would be AVCHD. The only way I can watch things on my TV wud be to connect the PC with the TV via a HDMI cable i use at the moment. So am not sure if thats gonna be a problem with a US camcorder.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom