• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

HD Camcorder & MAC compatibly

g0lgj

Standard Member
Hi I currently have a TRV11 mini dv camcorder and I am thinking of moving to a HD camcorder. I use a iMAC (power PC not intel) and Imovie 07 not imovie 08 , just for holidays and kids so nothing pro. Questions are
Is something like the Sony HC9E compatible withe Imovie 07 and the MAC ?
Once recorded and edited and outputted to DVD if using upscaling DVD player what Quality can I expect ? or would it better to edit back to tape and use camcorder to play on ? using a HD TV.

I have read that there is less compression when using HD-mini dvd tape than some of the other HDD based recorders ? so better to go with tape ?

Any help gratefully received.
Thanks
Mark

macdaddy

As long as the camcorder you are thinking of buying doesn't record AVCHD files you'll be OK.

iMovie 07 won't work with AVCHD.

Cheers

MD

g0lgj

Standard Member
Hi Thanks for your reply so I presume most HDD based camcorders record AVCHD files if I stick with mini DV HD tape should be ok.

Thanks.

milkmanchris

Get a copy of iMovie06 its a lot better than 07.

Voltaic will convert any avchd files into files readable by iM.

D

Deleted member 27989

For the record iMovie 07 does not exist, there was iMovie 06 HD and iMovie 08. Whilst 08 might not be to everyone's taste it actually has a lot more features that 06 and were very quietly introduce following the launch, so anyone discarding it then I would suggest to give it another good look...

But yes if you are on a non-Intel Mac do not go for AVCHD based cameras...

macdaddy

Get a copy of iMovie06 its a lot better than 07.

Voltaic will convert any avchd files into files readable by iM.

Agreed - just another process to have to go through though......

milkmanchris

Agreed - just another process to have to go through though......

For us G4 non Intel chip dudes, it would seem the only way.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom