HD, but how do i actually know?

chrisnic0

Hi, i was wondering if anyone can help me. Ive recently got a dell 2405 (amazing) and im using Windows media player 10, and ive downloaded some trailers, but im not blown away by the quality.
How do I actually know if that its playing hi def?
I seriously think its not hi def, but Im not sure my housemates reckon its good but thats only coz they have 14" portable TVs.
Im not really sure what im asking, help?
Thanks
Nico

calibos

I downloaded the MicroSoft HD trailers and was underwhelmed watching them on my Dell 2405 too. Looked no better than a dvd to my eyes. Then got my new AE900 PJ and watched them on that. Have to say the movie clips disappointed me too when I compared them to my dvd versions. Then I watched the documentary clips and........WOW!

As big and high resolution as the 2405 is its still too small to really see the difference. Blow the image up to 8ft and where Standard definition starts to show its low res, HD really starts to shine.

Anyone who gets HD and intends to watch on anything smaller than 40in is wasting their time. You just wont see the difference untill you blow the image up bigger than 40in.

coley65

i had a 21" medion lcd and the clips blew me away. i have just got hold of a 32" humax abd the clips seem not much better than a dvd. for instance the silvers on the medion were spakling and looked like silver but on the humax they look dull and flat. by the way the humax is going back too

regards coley

Starburst

calibos said:
Anyone who gets HD and intends to watch on anything smaller than 40in is wasting their time. You just wont see the difference untill you blow the image up bigger than 40in.

Sorry I can't agree.

The difference between DVD and HD on my 19" LCD monitor is most evident and when the PC is feeding HD to my 32" LCD the resulting image blows away DVD both upscaled by the panel or via the Iscan/Denon1920.

Starburst

cnicholas said:
Hi, i was wondering if anyone can help me. Ive recently got a dell 2405 (amazing) and im using Windows media player 10, and ive downloaded some trailers, but im not blown away by the quality.
How do I actually know if that its playing hi def?
I seriously think its not hi def, but Im not sure my housemates reckon its good but thats only coz they have 14" portable TVs.
Im not really sure what im asking, help?
Thanks
Nico

Well very basically HD is all about resolution, if the clips are over 1280*720 then they are HD although they also require enough data to create the image and maintain smooth seamless movement.

You should be able to see the difference between a DVD spec file and a HD file but remember that anything above or below the native resolution of the monitor will have to be scaled and that can decrease the quality.

If you download a 1080p trailer, MS have some here you should be able to see the difference although the standard of the encoding and bitrate will have an impact on the final result.

jedi-jae

I can see the difference on a 15" monitor, so sorry calibos you're being a bit elitist by saying I'm wasting my time with HD just because my plasma is only 32". I've run the quicktime HD vids to my plasma and even at 720p they look stunning.

domtheone

Distinguished Member
I'd agree

I have a 18.1" :D TFT Monitor

Quite a noticable difference between say DVD/480p files and 720p.

Hell a big difference :)

Stephen Neal

How much better HD looks than SD for a given screen and picture depends on a number of things. The two most important are the resolution of the screen, and how close you are to it.

A 17" 4:3 1280x1024 is 720p native resolution (16:9 letterboxed 720p is 1280x720 - which fits 1:1 into the 16:9 letterbox area of a 4:3 1280x1024 screen) - and capable of delivering excellent HD pictures - but it will only appear massively better than a 17" SD screen showing the same material if you are relatively close to it (probably less than 3 screen heights away) The minute you start watching at normal TV viewing distances - rather than normal PC monitor viewing distances - obviously smaller screens don't show HD to full effect.

Average European TVs at average European distances only really benefit with HD when they are over 28" in diagonal - according to BBC (or is it EBU?) research.

This doesn't mean that sets smaller than 28" aren't capable of delivering HD - just that you have to sit closer to them to see it...

jedi-jae

Ok, look, I see what you're trying to say; that beyond a certain distance in relation to the size of the screen you are looking at the difference between SD and HD become indiscernable.

I'm not arguing that, what I'm saying is that in my living room when I run HD material onto a 32" plasma I can see how sharp it is. And frankly all that really matters is that I can see how much better it is than a normal tv broadcast, because that's the key isn't it? My freeview picture is fine, perfectly watchable, but if I could flick a switch and watch freeview in HD I would, because the improvement is more than noticeable.

For me not to see the difference I'd have to be in my garden, a viewing option I'm not likely to take up...

Similarly I'm not likely to sit very far away from a PC monitor either - so in both cases I, and any other normal computer user or tv viewer, can happily see the improvement that HD brings to their display.

I don't care about the maths, if I were designing a house from scratch I might do, but I can't move my walls, so a 32" screen is ideal for my living room.

Trending threads

Trending threads

Top Bottom