HD box tech specs

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by speedymct, Mar 26, 2006.

1. speedymct

speedymct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Does anyone know of a website with the complete technical specifications & connections of the new HD boxes? I want to figure out in advance how I'm gonna connect all my gear up.

2. choddo2006

choddo2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +542
    there's some pics knocking around of the rear of the box which will probably tell you all you need to know.

iirc: pretty much the same as Sky+ with HDMI, SATA and ethernet added so for AV that's;
    2 SCARTs (RGB & composite one assumes), one HDMI (720p/1080i/50), one s-video, optical audio, analog stereo audio.

3. Qwelldrin

Qwelldrin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually SKy HD have not released a connection standard for there unit. May I also say that HD is a resolution of screen and not a Conector Type HD ready can mean that a Screen is 720p 1080I and 1080P, none of these screens must have a HDMI connector. HDMI will carry audio as well as video so unless somebody from sky tells you that in your home entertainmet center you have optional audio outputs as well. Then you will also need a HDMI to Audio Splitter and converter, Audio channels being Digtal. Nobody in SKY has yet commented on if there Sky HD boxes are also HDCP complient. This would also mean that your current PLasma or LCD screen would not cater fro the encrytion of HDCP. SKY needs to make there standard clear before anyone should buy into the new HD system.

4. sanderton

sanderton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Sky have commented on, and specified, all these things Quelldrin, what are you on about?

5. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    well the HD box has optical output same as the + box, so you dont need a HDMI video/audio splitter.....

as for the rest, see the Sky HD website for pictures of the back of the box for connections available...

not sure about the HDD size tho, cant remember whats been said on that....sorry

6. sanderton

sanderton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    HD is 160Gb of user usable space.

7. Qwelldrin

Qwelldrin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI Guys thanks for the comments I have recently spoken to some of the installation engineers and they dont know what the offical release will be. I have asked sky 4 times over the last month for the offical release specifications and they will not give me them. Do you have a offical release from SKY HD with the equipment details or are you like me readin the THOMPSON release of the SKY HD unit

8. choddo2006

choddo2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +542
    Splitting this conversation over 4 threads is REALLY annoying.

9. Qwelldrin

Qwelldrin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you do not have an answer on connection, audio and resolution where would you put it? Here is a question answered or not? From the original thread this is relevent
    ?

10. choddo2006

choddo2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +542
    Eh? If I didn't have an answer, I wouldn't put it anywhere.

Oh I see what you mean. Well I'd only try to make the point once in one place that's for sure, doesn't really matter which thread, they all have a bearing on it.

And the answers to your question have been knocking around for ages. No official release, but interviews etc from reliable sources regarding resolution supported and photos of the back of the box as far as the separate audio connection goes.

11. Qwelldrin

Qwelldrin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Choddo 2006 show me the offical SKY HD release information on the SKY HD box and I will go away! Sorry Answered already in the previous post!

12. choddo2006

choddo2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +542
    I don't want you to go away, I want you to stop screaming like a hysterical child about something that everyone already knows with 99.9% confidence.

I can't get into the SkyHD site at the mo to point at relevant information.

13. Chevalier

Chevalier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    So far this is the best I have found http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=321087&page=2.

I am awaiting responses from Sky & Thomson but from I have read elsewhere I suspect I will get no reply.

Good luck.

14. DanDT

DanDT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    It's actually very simple, children.

HDMI will be required for broadcast of HDCP material.

NOT ALL HD material will be copy protected.

I expect BBC HD (and the world cup) to work through component, as it's not copy protected, pretty much like Telewest, though i can be wrong, and it might depend on what the BBC decide they want protected.
    I expect HD movies to be copy protected, and will only work through HDMI or DVI-HDCP, pretty much like Telewest.

15. sanderton

sanderton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I think you're wrong there. Whether HDCP copy protection is active is entirely independent of whether the analogue component outputs are active. You can have protected digital output and still have analogue active.

I expect almost all material to be broadcast with HDCP copy protection active - possibly with CopyOnce rather than CopyNever in the case of the BBC.

And all Sky channels and the BBC will have the component output active at all times.

16. DanDT

DanDT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    I never said analog would be inactive.

Basically, practically, if you only connect SkyHD through component, you'll be able to watch all non-protected material. BBC HD programs like Planet Earth (and possibly the World Cup and Wimbledon) are not protected, so you'll get a signal and everyone's happy.
    However, if you turn over to Sky Movies HD or Sky Box Office HD, you will not get a signal through component because the signals will be protected. The only way to watch them will be through HDMI or DVI-HDCP.

That's how TVdrive works and i expect it will work the same on the SkyHD box as HDCP is something that is controlled by the broadcaster, not the service provider - eg if BBC wants to copy protect a HD movie they're showing, if that ever happens, then that movie will only work through HDMI, and SkyHD will have no word in the matter.
    ALL HD movies have HDCP so they will only ever work through HDMI - unless someone finds an hack obviously...

No wait, i think you're saying something else....... err...

17. sanderton

sanderton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    No, you're wrong on that. ALL content on Sky's channels will be available on component at full res. They have stated this repeatedly, time after time.

Having HDCP enabled on HDMI and the component outputs being available or not are COMPLETLY SEPERATE AND UNRELATED THINGS.

A film can be HDCP protected on HDMI AND be viewable in analogue on component, no problem. And indeed that will be the case.

This misunderstanding keeps on coming up. It's been specifially queried with Sky who have given an unequivocal answer.

18. THERAAAVEN

THERAAAVEN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    all i would like to know - is who makes a hdmi to audio/video splitter???? seems unlikely to me but could be wrong

19. sanderton

sanderton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    You don't need one for teh SkyHD box - it has a separate optical digital audio out.

20. DanDT

DanDT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Well then what's the point of them requiring HDMI?

21. sanderton

sanderton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    What do you mean? Who is "them"?

22. wandersen

wandersen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
  23. THERAAAVEN

THERAAAVEN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    so the answers is NO no-one makes a hdmi audio.video spliiter - good thought i was going mad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! if they did surely that would get around the whole piont of the cable - mainly being a digital one

24. DanDT

DanDT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Sky... They have been saying they require HDMI inputs for ages now.

25. sanderton

sanderton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    #

No they haven't.

They've been strongly recommending that people purchase TVs with HDMI connections, as they do not guarantee that subsequent editions of the Sky HD box will physically have component connections. Indeed they have strongly hinted that v2 boxes, whenever they come out, will NOT have component outputs.

By that time of course, virtually all HD TVs sold for the previous x years will have been HD Ready and have HDMI. People with "legacy" HD TVs with component only inputs or non-HDCP compliant HDMI/DVI need to make sure they get one of these early boxes.

26. DanDT

DanDT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    I think someone here is a bit confused. HDCP is something that is decided by whoever owns the material.
    Like with the HDDVD/Bluray debate, the studios decided that all the movies (or most, anyway) will be copy protected. That means that the same movies will also be protected on SkyHD like they are on Telewest.
    It's not up to Sky or Telewest to decide whether we can get HD movies thorugh component disregarding the HDCP completely, like it's not up to Sony or Toshiba to have HDCP in Bluray/HDDVD movies. It's up to Universal, Sony/MGM, and all the production companies making the movies.

In the circumstances, i'm sure SkyHD will allow component output for a while for some material just to "be nice" so to speak, but not all material will work. Maybe (MAYBE) initially some movies will still work, but it's all to be seen.

Allowing analog output on copy-protected material would go against what the owners of the movies want, and i'm sure there would be huge problems if that happened.

Hell, the HD-Ready standard that IS required for SkyHD as per terms and condition, was largely based on what SkyHD would require, and HDMI is the most important addition to the HD-Ready logo, and has been for months.

27. DanDT

DanDT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144

People with early boxes running only on component will have to upgrade their TVs to HDCP compliant ones, as sooner rather than later, they'll start missing on HD material, mainly movies, though BBC will probably always work with component.

28. Dar Kaus

Dar Kaus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know if there will be a HDMI connection lead included in the Sky box?

29. DanDT

DanDT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Apparently, yes.

30. Dar Kaus

Dar Kaus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings: