HD box recording capacity

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by BigAl3, Apr 18, 2007.

1. BigAl3

BigAl3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sky’s website says that you should be able to record an average of 80 hours SD material or 30 hours of HD on a Sky HD box.

I am only getting about 20 hours of HD.

I phoned Sky, and was told that they do not guarantee 30 hours, and it depends what you record. Action movies, for example, take up more space than natural history programmes,

Does this sound reasonable?

2. colham

colham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I think its a problem we'll all have until they put the figures (% or otherwise) into the planner before you record. It would also be handy if a movie recording ended at the end of the film - can sometimes be 30 mins of rubbish to fill the time. Or allowed you to trim your recordings after they were made.

3. Fusewire

Fusewire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    Sounds OK to me, DD5.1 soundtracks on movies require more space on the HDD, whereas you don't get many nature progs in 5.1 :D so they won't need as much space. :thumbsup:

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

It is reasonable but in this case it's not the main issue.

I think SKY were surprised that the new H.264 codec didn't deliver the bandwidth savings that were expected even with first or second generation realtime encoders and hence all promotional material and transponder leasing was geared towards say 12mbps where as good HD seems to need around 18mbps.

SKY1HD's bitrate has improved but there are still times a 1 hour programme comes in at 3% and that gives you 30 hours as expected where as in the real world 6% an hour is required.

5. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,787
    I think the point is that Sky clearly state

To then find it can actually only store 20 hours, or just 2/3rds of what you thought you would be getting is more than a little misleading. Of course the amount you can record will be affected by the type of material and bit rate.

But to say that 30 hours is the average, implies that with some material you ought to be able to record more than 30 hours. Whereas 30 hours would appear to be the maximum, on a good day, with the bit rate winds behind you, and a calm sea ahead... :rolleyes:

What they should be saying is that the average is perhaps 25 hours, or even less. And 30 is the maximum.

But hey, lets not have the thruth get in the way of marketing....

6. BigAl3

BigAl3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies. I had been wondering whether I had just been given a duff box.

7. simon194

simon194

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +221
    The nature programmes on NatGeoHD have 5.1, Planet Earth was 5.1 as well, I think

8. AndyCob

AndyCob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    The actaul bandwidth used by the different HD channels is not the same, some of the sky material is even dynamic so the same program recorded from the same channel at different times can take up a different amount of space.

Simple example, I once recorded a film on HD1 then again later on HD2, they were both the same length reocrding within a few minutes including the padding and the often extra 20 mins of rubbish before the next film at the end.

HD1 recording used 16% the HD2 used 8%, which shows the cut in quality between the two quite dramatically.

9. Jaycee Dove

Jaycee Dove

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    The second HD movie channel has had awful bit rate and PQ for ages.

They really must improve it or they will start losing customers.

The difference in quality is so great it is visibly obvious just by flicking between HD 1 and HD 2 movies.

One of the Box Office HD channels is even worse, by the way!

A warning to those paying extra and expecting atruly superb PQ with an HD movie, as with the standard sub movie channels it depends which channel Sky screen it on.

They do seem aware of the issues. Movies HD 1 boosted its PQ a while ago and Sky One HD has upped its rates more recently with some transponder switcheroos. Hopefully they will find a way to do the same with the second movie channel as it has long been in dire need.