HD Box External SATA Connection...Is It That Simple???

New Bloke

Established Member
Reaction score
I am away to purchase Sky HD (Upgrade from bog standard Sky) but I am definately interested in upgrading the hard drive, can you run a 1TB HHD from a caddy into the SATA socket on the back of the HD box or would you have to plug the SATA cable into the internal board?

If you are talking about using the external interface on the rear of the HD box then the answer is simple "NO".

If you are talking about using the external interface on the rear of the HD box then the answer is simple "NO".

Balls!

Does it sound a bit of a daft idea then running a 1TB external drive then running the SATA cable into the HD box? Be honest... Just don't want to mess up a brand new HD box, my wife would kill me :nono::devil:

Be brave, upgrade the internal drive straight away, you'll soon get fed up with the lack of capacity if you don't.

And if it goes wrong under warranty change the drive back and phone Sky. I honestly don't believe they'd ever get back to you because the warrany sticker, hidden under the drive caddy, was removed.

why not do what I did? Take out the whole hard disk caddy and make your own. I supported my hard disk with a framework made of stiff card. This means that the original warranty sticker remains intact, but you've got space inside the box for a new disk. If something goes wrong, swap the original back in, no one can tell any different.

I'm amazed that no one sells replacement caddy/fan assemblies, as that would make the whole process REALLY simple.

Well, maybe not. Did you consider it might be possible to remove the internal hard drive and route its sata connector to the socket in the back? If you could do this, it would mean you could swap external drives when you want thus archive as much material as you wish. Similar to the terrabyte thread....

I dont know if it would work...anyone? External power supply would be required.

Yes this has been done using external sata boxes such as the thecus enclosures sold by scan. I have swapped the original drive for a 750GB drive this box went back to sky under warranty with the original replaced. i put a Hitachi 1TB drive in the replacement. Copy plus allows you to copy the drives' contents. The only thing it can't do is merge drives which would be nice!:)

Any ideas if a 'faulty' box was bought (ie stuck in Standby - which sounds like a dead hard drive) if you just install a new 1TB drive it would format it ready to use - but blank? Or does the HD need something doing with Copyplus first?

David

Is the "SATA" socket on the back of the box actually connected to anything internally?

If not what was the point of the socket!!

Is the "SATA" socket on the back of the box actually connected to anything internally?

If not what was the point of the socket!!

It's connected, just not activated. It's assumed that at some time Sky will activate it via fimware. IIRC Sky have said that they intend to allow external hard drive connection via the Sata socket at some point in time. Loz is the man for the detail if he's around.

ATB

Max

Loz is the man for the detail if he's around.

Well not really :)

All I did previously was link to the statements by Sky that they would be enabling the SATA port in future - but they gave no timescale...

The only good thing was they also said there would be nothing proprietary about it - you would be able to buy your own HDD and plug it in, not only some expensive sky add-on...

Well not really :)

All I did previously was link to the statements by Sky that they would be enabling the SATA port in future - but they gave no timescale...

The only good thing was they also said there would be nothing proprietary about it - you would be able to buy your own HDD and plug it in, not only some expensive sky add-on...

Sorry mate, I just remembered that you knew where the reference material was! :thumbsup:

ATB

Max

Be brave, upgrade the internal drive straight away, you'll soon get fed up with the lack of capacity if you don't.

And if it goes wrong under warranty change the drive back and phone Sky. I honestly don't believe they'd ever get back to you because the warrany sticker, hidden under the drive caddy, was removed.

Use a hair dryer and gently heat the warranty sticker to remove it, it comes off relatively easy. Stick it back on next to the screw hole rather than on it. If you have to, it is then simple enough to put it back in its original position.

Sorry to ask a stupid question, I have programmes stored on the box but I want to record them to DVD, can i plug a Hard Drive into the SATA socket and copy the programmes, then burn them to DVD disk on my PC?

Paul

:oops:

No.I think a scart to DVD recorder would do for what you want.All programs must be played and recorded though,so a long process and no HD playback.

Thanks, if i got a DVD recorder with a HDD could i copy them to that machine and then record them to DVD at leisure with out having to watch them? So i could load them to a DVDR and then edit them on PC to take the trailers and stuff out.

What you say?

If you want to edit them on your PC, you could always get this: Blackmagic Design: Intensity

...and then hook up the Sky HD box via HDMI to it (or component video if you get the Intensity Pro and your Sky HD box has the component jacks). That way, you'll be able to record everything off the Sky box in HD, and without losing quality. You'll also be able to record footage off, say, an Xbox 360, as long as it's not copy protected.

The only issue is if Sky ever start using HDCP (High Definition Copy Protection), doing that over HDMI won't work. So you'd need to do it via the component jacks on your box, if it has them.

However, that's the easiest way of getting it onto your PC in HD.

If you don't need HD, then a lot of other devices, both USB and PCI/PCIe based, can capture SD content directly to your PC and you can then edit it that way. The only issue is, with both methods, you'll have to play back the content on the Sky box and record it using your PC, which means that if you want to capture 30 hours of TV, it'll take 30 hours to do it. :suicide:

Thanks, if i got a DVD recorder with a HDD could i copy them to that machine and then record them to DVD at leisure with out having to watch them? So i could load them to a DVDR and then edit them on PC to take the trailers and stuff out.
Yes. Although all DVDRs with hard drive will allow you to edit any trailers and ad breaks without watching the whole programme before burning to DVD disc. So you wouldn't need to transfer to PC.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom