1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD/Blu Ray Petition Sign If You Agree

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by FoxyMulder, Aug 26, 2003.

1. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think this is worthy of signing and if anyone else agrees then click the link and sign, personally i want to see exceptionally high bitrates for audio and video on the next generation players.

http://www.petitiononline.com/cehddvd/

2. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    yea but isn't this a petition for the sake of a petition? HD DVD will happen eventually anyway, and people like Joe Kane will hopefully have some influence! Check this out http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_10_3/show-report-vsda-2003.html

Personally i'd like to see a high capacity DVD used with a new codec (wm9 would be good if you didn't have to "activate" dvds). 1080p progressive should be used, and if 1080i output is desired then the dvd player should be doing the interlacing, the movie should be stored in it's native progressive 24fps format. Higher resolution audio codecs should also be used, can you imagine that, audio that's far better quality than theater formats...

3. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    cybersoga, I think most of your wishes, such as a desire for 1080p24 and a lower-loss audio codec are mentioned.

As far as picture compression goes I feel the lightest possible compression should be used. Enough so that a 4 hour movie could fit on a single disc at 1080p24 - with the highest possible audio resolution. Since 10.2 has been demonstrated, that would be a good goal to aim for, at least its availability would allow its inclusion should a studio wish it to be. Backwards compatibility with existing decoders must be ensured however, and I'd vote for the inclusion of a 'maximum bit-rate' DTS soundtrack, at 1536 kbps. Relative to the volume available on the 'blu-ray format' and its ilk this would have a relatively minor impact on the space.

4. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Hi,

I would be happy with film-based material stored at 1080p24 and MLP audio at 24/96 for the front channels and 20/48 for the rears. A total bit-rate of 36Mbps would be just dandy - bring it on! :smashin:

Steve