1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD/Blu Ray and new Processors..

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by saibot, Oct 23, 2005.

1. saibot

saibot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Hi,

currently thinking about upgrading my processor, however with HD/Bluray around the corner, wondering if this will make much difference in the processor/av receiver arena ? i.e. will we have new sound formats better than DTS-ES/DD-EX (that current equipment will down sample to current formats) ? or should we expect just more full bitrate tracks with movies ??

thanks,
    d...

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,392
    HD DVD discs will be encoded with new audio formats - Dolby has 2 and DTS 1 I think. However there are currently no receivers/processors on the market with these formats as I don't think they have been released by Dolby/DTS yet. However the discs will still contain a standard DD &/or DTS mix.
    In the first few years of these HiDef DVD's I would think that most of the audio decoding will be done onboard the players and output to a processor via analogue interconnects, similar to the way DVD-A & SACD are done. It is likely to be a fair few years before most of us have upgraded both DVD player & processor.

Mark.

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,392
    Details of Dolby Digital Plus and Dolby True HD Here

Mark.

4. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It will be a good few years before all the dust has settled ref to new formats and the units for both HD-DVD & Blue Ray will be pretty expensive to buy at 1st.. :)

5. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Remember all the 'bolt on' style processors from the likes of Denon to add DD etc a few years back?

I'd expect we'll see a flurry of those for a year or two to upgrade current models until it's all fully integrated with any new audio formats.

6. scarty16

scarty16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    I reckon they will appear on the amps/receivers of pioneer/denon as soon as the players/recorders appear after all feature count is king at that end of the market, so sooner than you may think

7. mattmarsden

mattmarsden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    I think it most likely that the player will do the decoding and send digital bitstream via HDMI, as this can currently easily carry 10 channels of full bitrate DVD-Audio.

8. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +825
    This is really looking some way into the future. AV amps are only just getting round to accepting audio over HDMi V1.1 (carries DVD-A). I don't believe there are any that take HDMI V1.2 (DSD) yet, and Dolby true HD will need HDMI V1.3 to carry it. I've given up trying to catch up.

Nick

9. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    HDMI 1.2 might be accomplished by a firmware fix 'on some' kit, though nothing has arived yet. I am not sure HDMI 1.3 will do true HD, I haven't heard anything about this yet, others may be better informed here. I thought the comms codes were going in there. I think most of us will live with plain jane DD / DTS for quite a while yet and the most likely short term senario is the players do the decoding (not the receivers), they will send multi channel PCM to the receiver by HDMI 1.1 or ouput analogue audio.