1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD Bitrates?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Caimbeul, Aug 10, 2005.

1. Caimbeul

Caimbeul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    HI all,

Just wondering if anyone knows what bitrate upcomming HD is reported to use eg: Sky, Blu-Ray and HD-DVD and what rate are current DVD's using generally. I ask as I see wildly varying bitrates on HD content available via the web and some of it isnt that good :eek:

2. loadsofleads

loadsofleads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the max for Blu-ray is 54mbps :eek: HD-DVD is 36.5, Sky will probably be quite a bit lower, maybe around 20ish, we will have to wait and see which side of the bed Murdoch gets out of on roll out day :(

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Using mpeg4 SKY as well as the new services from Premiere, EURO1080 and TPS should be running in the 10mbps region with a slight fluctuation based on the resolution chosen for particular prgramming.

A similar bitrate will apply to HD-DVD and Blu-ray if the content providors choose to use a mpeg4 based compression system although this will jump if they decide to offer 1080p content. The next gen optical systems have the capacity for a number of compression formats including H.264, VC1 and high bitrate mpeg2.

As for content downloaded from the web well it is variable.
    For the most part the mpeg2 based US content is on the whole excellent although due to the transmission chain some cappers only have access to a datastream that has had it's resolution and bitrate reduced. Content using MS's wmv (VC1) codec on the whole does look good but given the examples I have seen I think the mpeg2 encoding at this time does a better job.

4. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    They never use max bitrate though look at dvd max is 9.62mb but on films they will use an average of like6 with loads of space on the dvd left.

5. Caimbeul

Caimbeul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Cool, cheers. So in theory (provided that the encoding is up to scratch) the image from Sky, Blu-Ray etc should be a little better than downloadable content available at present?

6. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    BluRay and HD-DVD should deliver picture quality as good as, or better, than MPEG2 D-Theater releases on D-VHS type cassettes, which are significantly better than over-the-air MPEG2 as broadcast in the US (which is the primary source for many HD downloads)

What level Sky and other UK HD broadcasters will deliver at is not as clear.

7. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I hope BluRay and HD-DVD will be better than DVHS, the potential is certainly there, I just hope we see it in practice. I just don't want to go 'backwards'.