HD audio/visual multiroom project

gwg11

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi All

I need a little help with my planned project I'm about to start

I bought a new house and my wife does not want to see any equipment or wires anywhere!!!!

I want to create a HD multiroom audio/visual network with the possibility of adding home automation at a later date, and have all equipment/sources in the study.

I will be having 4 HDTVs on the wall in different rooms

I will be installing 3xcat 6 to all rooms and using a 4x4 matrix over cat5/6 with IR

Therefore I will be able to control 4 different source (SkyHD x2 Xbox and apple TV) on 4 different TVs.

I'm planning on putting a Onkyo 609 receiver in the study to power 5.1 in-ceiling speakers in the lounge. However i'm not sure how to connect this and how will I be able to control it from the lounge as all 4 matrix inputs will be used by other sources.

I'm also planning to put in-ceiling speakers in to the en-suite and kitchen. Should I be looking at a 2/3 zone receiver or should I look to introduce a Sonos music system?

Apart from 3xcat 6 and power supply behind the TVs should I be installing any other cables?

Could someone recommend a 4x4 matrix over cat6?

Could anyone point me in the right direction for a diagram of what i'm trying to achieve.

Many thanks

:smashin:

You'll be wanting an antenna distribution system of some kind, I'd have thought, rather than purely CAT6.

If you're happy to put in the legwork, I'd suggest doing a full pre-wire, which will leave you with more options for the future. Materials cost is very little in the grand scheme of things. E.g. we've recently wired a 5 bed 3 storey house for multiroom audio, video and automation, with three surround sound rooms, for which the materials costs was under £1500.

Where in the country are you?

Chris

You'll be wanting an antenna distribution system of some kind, I'd have thought, rather than purely CAT6.

If you're happy to put in the legwork, I'd suggest doing a full pre-wire, which will leave you with more options for the future. Materials cost is very little in the grand scheme of things. E.g. we've recently wired a 5 bed 3 storey house for multiroom audio, video and automation, with three surround sound rooms, for which the materials costs was under £1500.

Where in the country are you?

Chris

Thanks Chris - I live in Blackpool area

also is it essential to invest in a controller system like control4?

Its not essential, but a proper control system will in the long term make using the system easier and less frustrating. Control 4 is an excellent system and compared to Crestron or AMX you get far more for your money with Control 4. Best bet would be to speak to a few of us Control 4 installers and get some ideas oncost, etc then you can decide if you want to invest in such a system. A control system no matter who its from is there to tie it all together and allow you simple control from one unit, be that ipad, iphone or a remote control ofsome kind. Control 4 has created a very user friendly system which is easy enough for all the family to understand.

I hope this is of some help.

Kind regards

Linx

you'd be worth paying £150 or so to someone to sit down and design a proper wiring scheme - money well spent in the long term.

There is, for example, a cable you can run to a TV position that contains 2x co-ax aerial, 2 x cat6 and 1 x cat5. All in one single sheath - saves ages on labour and is more robust than individual cables. We use it in all our jobs. That should pretty much cover most eventualities.

Control 4 is nice - also consider others, such as RTI - depends how much you want to spend long term.

I'm in a similar position and looking to wire my house to for an 8x8 multiroom hdmi matrix for sky hd (3D?), a media server and xbox(s). I'm also running sonos for each room through ceiling speakers.

Is there anyone who would provide help with a wiring diagram as I'm a bit lost on what / how many cables to each location. I think I have the sonos sussed (just a speaker wire to in ceiling speakers with everything else in the rack) but am confused by the video. Happy to pay for the consultancy as suggested above. Any offers?

Hi mattafc,
I will help you with a wiring diagram FOC on the forum if nobody else does.
There are plenty of people here who are more into matrixing than me so should jump in and help you soon.
Failing that I will sort it for you.
I need an equipment list, a list of rooms and intended hardware in each, where the central hub is and what AV sources/equipment will reside there.

regards

Steve

mattsfc

How much of the project are you looking to DIY?

With the right skill set you can do a fair chunk of it yourself otherwise best to call in a local Pro who can give you the 'in life' system support you'll likely require!

Where about are you?

Joe

Hi Steve, thats great, thanks. I sat up into the early hours reading up on things and I think I've got my head round things enough to have a first stab. I'll do that and post it up if that's ok with you, so at least it gives you a straw man to work from.

Thanks again, it's much appreciated.

Pretty much all of it Joe TBH, in conjunction with my sparks who is a close family friend. I've worked as an electrician, a telecoms engineer and a juke box installer, so have a basic idea about cabling - although the technology that goes on the end is a bit different these days!!

I'm in Hertfordshire

With your skills and your friends you are cooking.
glad to help

With your skills and your friends you are cooking.
glad to help

Steve, I've been working on this again tonight and have got an outline wiring diagram. I'll start a seperate thread with the details but have a look see what you think. You'll have to excuse the lack of proffesionalism in the drawing but I'm no more than an enthusiastic amateur. The two yellow sections are colocated in the central rack but drawn seperately yo save making a mess!!

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/82032890@N06/7706355442/" target="_blank">http://www.flickr.com/photos/82032890@N06/7706355442/

wiring diagram by mattafcuk, on Flickr

Gwg11, if you need a bit of support or a confidence boost over the direction you are taking I will be up at FiL's at the end of the month and I would be happy to meet.

He is in Poulton.

mattafc,
Depending on how you are planning to control songs, I would not locate all your songs boxes in the central rack. Especially if your using the android app or the songs controllers as they use the sonos wifi network and not your private wireless. You also need to plan good wifi boost points thought the house, even if you never use them.

I tend to hide them in kitchen cupboards, loft spaces, airing cupboards etc.

The wiring diagram you've up loaded isn't very clear, feel free to pm it to me and I'll have a look for you.

I am in west herts if you need any help.

V.

Last edited:
Doh, stoopid iPad auto spell, songs should be Sonos.

Caught one of them, missed the other.

V.

Seems like Vex, who looks very competent is helping you Matt but I will keep my eye on the post and maybe stick my oar in here and there if needed.

Thanks Guy's, I'll post a better copy of the wiring diagram this afternoon when I get home. I did struggle to find away to attach an image big enough to be able to see properly using the Flickr service

Hey Vex, thanks for the offer - much appreciated. Re: controllers I was planning to use apple products to control as everyone in the house has one, but I'm aware that we may not be in love with Apple forever so its a great point. We're buying Samsung TV's so I can see at least one Samsung tablet coming in to try out.

For the wirless boosters, you are correct - I don't get a good enough signal everywhere at home at the moment so its something I'll need to do.

I've attached the original file I created the wiring diagram in. I've had real trouble trying to get this in a format thats not too messy, but let me know if you can read it ok and see what you think.

Thanks Again!! :thumbsup:

Attachments

• wiring diagram.rar
    157.6 KB · Views: 145
vex said:
Gwg11, if you need a bit of support or a confidence boost over the direction you are taking I will be up at FiL's at the end of the month and I would be happy to meet.

He is in Poulton.

mattafc,
Depending on how you are planning to control songs, I would not locate all your songs boxes in the central rack. Especially if your using the android app or the songs controllers as they use the sonos wifi network and not your private wireless. You also need to plan good wifi boost points thought the house, even if you never use them.

I tend to hide them in kitchen cupboards, loft spaces, airing cupboards etc.

The wiring diagram you've up loaded isn't very clear, feel free to pm it to me and I'll have a look for you.

I am in west herts if you need any help.

V.

Cheers Vex let me know nearer the time

There is, for example, a cable you can run to a TV position that contains 2x co-ax aerial, 2 x cat6 and 1 x cat5. All in one single sheath - saves ages on labour and is more robust than individual cables. We use it in all our jobs. That should pretty much cover most eventualities..

Do you find the HNC-9 cost effective? I see the labour save and ease but the cost over and above the 5 seperate cables seems to be its death.

@marty

i've just spent the day dealing with 20 HNC9 cables coming into a rack room in one of my installs I'm working on at the moment. For ease of use I wouldn't now use anything else. With HDT base HDMI distribution systems now only requiring 1 cat 6 it is far easier to run, therefore quicker and if your saving time it gives you more time elsewhere which as an installer is obviously being charged to someone :)

I used to run 3xCat 6, 1xCat 5 and a coax to every TV point until T Base came along and then HNC 9 is a no brainer. Pricey, yes trade cost it still makes me whince but its great. :)

Kind regards

Linx :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom