Question HD audio streaming from Blu-ray player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Utterchaos, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Utterchaos

Utterchaos

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4
      Hi all,

So, my blu-ray player has died. Wouldn’t mind a 4K player but finances don’t allow and with a Apple TV 4K, Netflix and Amazon Prime I’m probably good for UHD for a bit, until a good price from anyway.

So I’m looking to get a HD Blu-ray player replacement but whilst I’m there.... does anyone know, are there any that are happy to DLNA flac or 24/96 ALAC from my mac? Especially with a reasonable GUI?

My Onkyo TX-RZ800 won’t do it, my Samsung TV won’t... my Raspberry-Pi will but drops too often so just wondering before I buy any old player.

Thanks all....

2. johnny1977

johnny1977

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9
      Oppo BDP-103/105

3. ashenfie

ashenfie

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +461
      Any UHD player will do. I have Mac and use MiniMserver on the mac with ALAC files to my Panny UB900, the UB700 can be had for £230. But the Oppo 203 or Sony would be able to do exactly the same. Bluray only the Panasonic’s DMP-BDT180 pretty good. They do Netflix Amazon (unlike the Oppo) etc, so pretty flexible and £80 good value.

I would go directly to Arcam amp but it oddly does not support ALAC only FLAC.

4. Captain Ron

Captain Ron

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +994
      Your TX-RZ800 should be able to do it. It's from the same family as the TX-RZ3100 which I have and I can definitely play high res flac from my network using it. I will check my exact setup and capabilities on that tonight and report back.

5. Utterchaos

Utterchaos

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4
      Cheers guys, Oppo looks awesome but is above my budget at the moment.

Cheers for other suggestions!

Amp will DLNA flac but not ALAC at high res. Also finding the track you need in the GUI is like pulling teeth!!! :)

6. Scotty Pro

Scotty Pro

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +130
      stick Kodi on your Pi and it will have a good user friendly front end, thats what I use for both movies (BluRay rips) and my iTunes library

7. andyj34

andyj34

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8
      I would recommend purchasing the Sony Blu-Ray player, BDP-S3700, which can be purchased for less £100. The player satisfies your requirement by being DLNA compliant. I have an iMAC running the PLex Media server and the Sony will detect and download the Plex Media Client.

Sony Smart Blu-ray Player

With the Plex media not only can you stream video file formats such as MKV, MP4, AVI etc you can also stream MP3, ALAC and FLAC. if you want save monies further I would suggest you buy either the Amazon Fire TV stick, GoogleChrome cast that offer the same streaming capabilities but having a faster and slicker interface minus the ability to play physical media.

I have an older Sony Blu Ray player that is DLNA compliant and an Amazon Fire TV Stick. The player purely used to play DVDs and Blu-Rays whereas the Amazon Fire TV stick is used for Streaming.

8. Captain Ron

Captain Ron

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +994
      Confirmed I can indeed stream audio from a DLNA network media server using the RZ3100. I can also use googlecast to send audio to it as well. SMB is a no go though so it looks like the Onkyo's can have data pushed to them but can't pull from an SMB.