HD Audio Motherboard with PAP

Discussion in 'Home Entertainment Computers' started by flash_uk, Jan 31, 2009.

1. flash_uk

flash_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi all

Does anyone know if any of the board manufacturers plan any time soon to release a motherboard which will properly support HD Audio using PAP, thereby avoiding the need for a separate soundcard.

I've read the huge number of threads about the current options available for HD audio, but it seems very difficult to find any info about whether the situation is going to change anytime soon.

Thanks for any info.

Flash

2. anth.payne

anth.payne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Asus do a couple mobo's, using nVidia 8200/8300 and 9300/9400 IGP's which support 8channel hi-def audio and support LCPM over HDMI.

ASUS M3N78-EM
    ASUS P5N7A-VM

3. jameson_uk

jameson_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579
    I don't know is the answer but my hunch is there will be no change any time soon. As it stands most media is only 16bit 48Khz anyway so there is no loss in downsampling for output as LPCM as the signal is already at the downsampled rate.

The other reason is cost. PAP is going to involve hardware and software and cost a fair amount to develop. ASUS have developed their Xonar HDMI kit in conjunction with Arcsoft so the ASUS card will only work with TMT. I believe Auzen effort when release will only work with PowerDVD.

I think it is unlikely that ATI or Nvidia are likely to consider support for bitmap output until there is (a) a demand for it and (b) other implemented solutions they can piggy back on top of.

Only my opinion but seems as how far things have moved since the first HDMI bitstreaming cards were annouced (only one released and that has some fundamental issues) I would not hold out for a bitstreaming mobo for at least 18 months

4. flash_uk

flash_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    thanks for the responses folks. I tend to agree that it could be years not months before the situation changes much, so I think that leads me to conclude I should just get on with my HTPC upgrade and then see where things have got to in a couple of years time.

Flash