HD-Audio formats with the upgrade?

F

famasfilms

Hi,

At the moment I have a Sony STR-DE697 receiver which does DD-ex and DTS-ES. It's connected to my dvd player (Pio 696) and PC which is connected to a 32" LCD.

The PC is used to playback downloaded HD material such as TV shows and ripped HD-DVD/Blu-Ray films, playback is fine but the PC is very noisy.

Therefore I was thinking of getting the new toshiba satellite X200-20s laptop which has HD-DVD drive and HDMI output...

To go with that I was thinking of upgrading my receiver to something like the Onkyo 605 to take advantage of the new HD audio outputs.

However the guy in Sevenoaks today put me off the whole idea completely, he said that HD-audio wasnt worth it:

a) if you dont have the source material. I agree with him on this point, only have a few HD/BR discs at the moment and don't think any of the films I have feature particularly dynamic soundtracks

b) the Onkyo 605 doesn't decode the HD audio formats, only output them after being fed them by another decoder. Is this true?

c) Unless you spend £1000s on good quality speakers its not worth it.

So, I can build a quiet HTPC, without HD-DVD or BluRay for about £500-600 and stick with my current receiver. Bloke in sevenoaks suggested a Marantz receiver (without the new formats) would be a significant boost in audio quality for about £300-400, (audio quality upgrade being what I was looking for)

Or I can get a new laptop and new Onkyo for about £1700 to hopefully benefit from HD-audio formats.

Suggestions?

(oops noticed typo in subject, should say worth?)

dazza74

Novice Member
Hi,

At the moment I have a Sony STR-DE697 receiver which does DD-ex and DTS-ES. It's connected to my dvd player (Pio 696) and PC which is connected to a 32" LCD.

The PC is used to playback downloaded HD material such as TV shows and ripped HD-DVD/Blu-Ray films, playback is fine but the PC is very noisy.

Therefore I was thinking of getting the new toshiba satellite X200-20s laptop which has HD-DVD drive and HDMI output...

To go with that I was thinking of upgrading my receiver to something like the Onkyo 605 to take advantage of the new HD audio outputs.

However the guy in Sevenoaks today put me off the whole idea completely, he said that HD-audio wasnt worth it:

a) if you dont have the source material. I agree with him on this point, only have a few HD/BR discs at the moment and don't think any of the films I have feature particularly dynamic soundtracks

b) the Onkyo 605 doesn't decode the HD audio formats, only output them after being fed them by another decoder. Is this true?

c) Unless you spend £1000s on good quality speakers its not worth it.

So, I can build a quiet HTPC, without HD-DVD or BluRay for about £500-600 and stick with my current receiver. Bloke in sevenoaks suggested a Marantz receiver (without the new formats) would be a significant boost in audio quality for about £300-400, (audio quality upgrade being what I was looking for)

Or I can get a new laptop and new Onkyo for about £1700 to hopefully benefit from HD-audio formats.

Suggestions?

(oops noticed typo in subject, should say worth?)
Makes no sense to me the Onkyo comments, these amps are basically being bought by people so they can listen to the uncompressed high def audio formats over HDMI. If you in the market for a HD DVD player maybe you could look at a standalone player with HDMI out like the Toshiba E1 can be had for around £200

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom