HD Arcana Alternatives

Zev191

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

For those of you more initiated audiophiles, I wanted to know if there's usable alternatives to the Arcana. Admittedly I'm using my configuration in a very unique way and just wanted to know if there were cheaper devices available, in order to bring out the full potential of my soundbar.

I have a Sonos Arc that I wish to push DD+ and up content to, from a PC directly (instead of the usual TV hop). I know you can achieve this with an Arcana but are there alternatives?

Your requirement for the Arcana 'sounds' pretty standard - HD/Atmos audio capable Source > Arcana then Arcana Output to ARC TV + SONOS ARC Soundbar.

The Arcana allows you to connect a Source which is capable of uncompressed HD and Atmos directly to the Arcana and then 'split' the Arcana Output as Video to your 'ARC' TV and full uncompressed audio to you SONOS ARC.

Joe

Your requirement for the Arcana 'sounds' pretty standard - HD/Atmos audio capable Source > Arcana then Arcana Output to ARC TV + SONOS ARC Soundbar.

The Arcana allows you to connect a Source which is capable of uncompressed HD and Atmos directly to the Arcana and then 'split' the Arcana Output as Video to your 'ARC' TV and full uncompressed audio to you SONOS ARC.

Joe
Are you aware of any cheaper alternatives to the Arcana for my specific case? The only one that I've seen thus far is this.

Attachments

• HDC-SWB11A -Product.jpg
    HDC-SWB11A -Product.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 1,243
'my specific case?' - is exactly what the Arcana is designed to do it is not unique :)

HDFury moved very quickly when the 'issues' with the HDMI Input on the SONOS ARC arose, created a dedicated fix and are way ahead of the game - anyone else will now struggle to play catch up and deliver a device which is so well supported. You are purchasing the device plus the ongoing (hour by hour) support which HDFury offer.

I doubt any lower cost alternative can offer the ongoing support which HDF supply so if it works on day one all well all good - if not or if things change in your system and there is now way to update the unit it becomes useless.

We, TMF, have supplied a lot of Arcana to UK customers.

Joe

'my specific case?' - is exactly what the Arcana is designed to do it is not unique :)

HDFury moved very quickly when the 'issues' with the HDMI Input on the SONOS ARC arose, created a dedicated fix and are way ahead of the game - anyone else will now struggle to play catch up and deliver a device which is so well supported. You are purchasing the device plus the ongoing (hour by hour) support which HDFury offer.

I doubt any lower cost alternative can offer the ongoing support which HDF supply so if it works on day one all well all good - if not or if things change in your system and there is now way to update the unit it becomes useless.

We, TMF, have supplied a lot of Arcana to UK customers.

Joe
Hi Joe, I've been trying to purchase an Arcana unit or two for the last several days and seem to not be able to place a direct order to the US from the HD Fury site. Is there a better channel to purchase the arcana unit in the United States?

I appreciate any help you can offer on this. I believe 2 of these units will really improve my sound performance for 2 UHD televisions that were built just before eARC became available...

Thanks,

Ensure you are using HDfury.com - that is the only site HDFury operate, even if a few others sites try and make out they are the ‘official’ site.

If you are still stuck drop me a PM and I’ll see if we can sort you out.

Joe

Why wouldn't this work it's got arc though you wouldn't get HD true you'd still get the lossy dd+/atmos compressed so might be ok for those who just stream , and half the price of arcana

Because the HDMI Input on the SONOS devices only enable if they are triggered by an eARC or ARC TV which the device you link to is not capable of passing.

The HDFury Arcana is capable of receiving and outputting the required signals from the TV to enable the HDMI Input on the SONOS device.

Joe

Because the HDMI Input on the SONOS devices only enable if they are triggered by an eARC or ARC TV which the device you link to is not capable of passing.

The HDFury Arcana is capable of receiving and outputting the required signals from the TV to enable the HDMI Input on the SONOS device.

Joe
what if the soundbar has a full HDMI in port? are there cheaper products for that case?

If your TV has ARC and your Soundbar has 1 x ARC port plus one or more conventional HDMI Inputs you do not require an Arcana.

You connect the TV > Soundbar via ARC then any external device(s) via the HDMI Input on the Soundbar (you can add a conventional HDMI Switch to the Soundbar if you need to support a few Source devices).

CEC control may not always work as required with the above setup you will have to experiment.

The above assumes the Soundbar is capable of passing the video signal your TV and Source device are capable of supporting.

List your kit if you want more detail on what would work for you.

Joe

If your TV has ARC and your Soundbar has 1 x ARC port plus one or more conventional HDMI Inputs you do not require an Arcana.

You connect the TV > Soundbar via ARC then any external device(s) via the HDMI Input on the Soundbar (you can add a conventional HDMI Switch to the Soundbar if you need to support a few Source devices).

CEC control may not always work as required with the above setup you will have to experiment.

The above assumes the Soundbar is capable of passing the video signal your TV and Source device are capable of supporting.

List your kit if you want more detail on what would work for you.

Joe
The soundbar is a JBL Multibeam 5.0
I play most of my movies on an external hard drive attached to the TV, I don't have a blu-ray player or console. Since the TV only has ARC I cannot play uncompressed audio formats. I'm not sure how to get around this?
Only thing I have thought of was getting an Android box to attach to the TV so that it would at least convert TrueHD Atmos to DD+ Atmos (2018 LG TVs should be able to do that)...

The soundbar is a JBL Multibeam 5.0
I play most of my movies on an external hard drive attached to the TV, I don't have a blu-ray player or console. Since the TV only has ARC I cannot play uncompressed audio formats. I'm not sure how to get around this?
Only thing I have thought of was getting an Android box to attach to the TV so that it would at least convert TrueHD Atmos to DD+ Atmos (2018 LG TVs should be able to do that)...

Hi mate, if you bought an external media player then it could be attached to hdmi in port on the multibeam, as Joe says, for this setup you would not require the arcana.

As above retain the TV > Soundbar ARC connection and connect a suitable External Media player direct to the Soundbar.

Joe

Oh I didn't know attaching it to the soundbar would give me uncompressed audio. Thanks a lot

Not much info on the device you are asking about.

Something to keep in mind if you are combining a Projector with the SONOS Arc is that you have to connect the SONOS Arc to an eARC or ARC enabled TV to carry out the initial SONOS configuration.

You can then disconnect the Arc from the TV and move it to the Projector and add a device such as the HDFury Arcana or VRRoom plus your Source device(s).

The initial setup with an eARC/ARC TV is a SONOS requirement.

Joe

Hi there, the collaboration here is so helpful, I'm learning a lot.
Would the Arcana work in the following scenario for me?

Up to this point my TV only allows me to DolbyDigital (non plus) codec audio output. I want to get Dolby Atmos.
TV: Samsung Q70R, only HDMI ARC
Apple TV 4K 2022, which sends the Dolby Atmos fully over eARC only
Sound system: Sonos beam 2nd gen + 2 sonos One + Sonos Sub mini
Philips HDMI Sync box, for the led strip ambilight and as a "hub" for all my HDMI connections (PS4. Apple TV)

Currently, I have the TV ARC HDMI output connected to the Sonos beam, and the Apple TV as video input. I only get Dolby Digital 5.1

Do you guys think I will succeed and get Dolby Atmos by putting the Arcana in between the Sonos beam + Philips HDMI sync box output HDMI AND the TV?

The Hue Sync Box has to be connected to the TV.

Your connectivity would be ATV 4K > Arcana > Hue Sync > TV with the other Output of the Arcana to your Soundbar.

For multiple Sources you either stick a suitable Switch ahead of the Arcana or replace the Arcana with the VRRoom (which also offers you the ability to pass VRR video to the TV).

Joe

Hello all I have been struggling to get atmos with my current set up. Please help.

Older Sony tv xbrz9d with ARC, Apple TV 4k, Yamaha ysp 5600 sound bar (ARC). I bought the hdfury arcana but can’t seem to get it to work with this set up. I have updated firmware on all devices.

I figured I needed the arcana with my hardware since otherwise movies won’t play atmos, when I connect appletv4k to soundbar hdmi 1 directly and soundbar also connects to tv through ARC port it didn’t work. Would hear menu scrolling sounds but not the movie audio.
Thanks!

Your Soundbar has HDMI Inputs with 4K60p so there is no real reason to use the Arcana in your system.

If you do want to retain the Arcana there is a Firmware version to use with certain Sony TV’s!

You should be able to connect Source > Soundbar > TV to achieve 4K plus Atmos, assuming you have the correct subscriptions and are viewing the English language streams.

I’d power your system fully Off at the wall, remove the Arcana, connect ATV 4K > Soundbar > TV (no other devices attached) and then power on TV, then Soundbar, then Source (leave a little time between each device).

Now play a stream you know includes Atmos.

Joe

Thanks Joe, I got my setup to work! I did what you said and I ended up with the same issue as before. Atmos content wouldn't play, but lower tier audio such as dolby digital would play. More confident that the setup was right based on your suggestion, I started messing around with some of the buttons on the YSP 5600 remote and I pressed the "surround" button. previously I had it in "3D surround" mode and then magically the audio came on and the soundbar display now says "dolby atmos". thanks again!

The Hue Sync Box has to be connected to the TV.

Your connectivity would be ATV 4K > Arcana > Hue Sync > TV with the other Output of the Arcana to your Soundbar.

For multiple Sources you either stick a suitable Switch ahead of the Arcana or replace the Arcana with the VRRoom (which also offers you the ability to pass VRR video to the TV).

Joe
Hey Joe, so grateful for your answers.

You said the Hue Sync Box has to be connected to the tv, but in 4K Arcana 18Gbps | HDFury.com | Connect and Fix everything in HDMI , "Getting started" section schematics show that the HDMI splitter can be before the arcana. The fact you say it shoudn't is probably related to other potential issues

1. Am I correct?
2. Then, if I want to also use my PS4 with the Sonos Beam for sound, I understand I should include a switch BEFORE the Arcana, and connect there both the Apple TV and the PS4.
Please, could you shed some light as to what a 'suitable switch' could be?
3. But what If I have also an Xbox? (The VRRoom is too much for me and my Samsung Q70R I'd say)

Hue Sync - the problems folk encounter when you connect Source > Hue Sync > Arcana > Display+Soundbar are unique to the Sync and its capabilities, for reliable operation it has to be the last device in the chain before the TV.

HDMI Switch - the low cost Roofull unit, avaiable via Amazon, is one that many Arcana owners use between their Source devices and the Arcana, it supports up to five source devices.

VRRoom (or Arcana2) - allow you to process the video on one Output (Inc VRR) to enable you to send a signal to your Hue Sync which will be in-sync with the signal being sent to the TV, plus send a non-processed signal to your TV and send audio to your Soundbar or AVR.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom