1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD+ and SKY-HD, will it work

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by charker, Aug 31, 2005.

1. charker

charker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I was reading the HD+ manual regarding the input of HD (720p and 1080i) sources.

Am I right in thinking that it will only scale 720p to 1366x768 for a digital input? It says something about HD sources connected to the analog ports is passed through but scaling on HD sources through DVI is performed. Have I read that right?

So if I connect SKY-HD to the HD+ via component cables it just passes through and the picture is scaled by the plasma? Not much point having the HD+ really.

It seems that to get any benefit from the HD+ with HD material I will have to connect DVI into the HD+ and output analog. Will it do that with protected material?

Cliff

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,593
    charker

A full summary of what's on offer with the DVDO iScanHD+ is available on the DVDO website - see http://www.dvdo.com/faq/faq_ishdp.html#faq_hd9

For SKY HD you'll want an HDMI to DVI cable between the Source and the Video Processor and then assuming your Display is HDCP compliant you can Output a DVI with HDCP signal to the Display - though as you are very aware you'll have some difficult choices to make with 50Hz source signals.

It may be you want to consider adding a DVI (with HDCP) to RGBHV converter to the Output side of the iScanHD+ if you want to Input 720P or 1080i at 50Hz and Output 1366x768P @ 50Hz.

Best regards

Joe

3. big_marcelo

big_marcelo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the VP30 (new DVDO) will enable transcoding HD analogue inputs to HDMI/DVI out..... the Lumagen DVI does that also .....

4. charker

charker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Having read the FAQ and asked a few questions of DVDO

1) The HD+ will not scale HD analog inputs, they pass through
    2) The HD+ will scale HD DVI input (no HDCP) and output analog
    3) The HD+ will scale HD DVI input (with HDCP) but no analog output only DVI

So it is no good for a SKY-HD -> Panasonic V7

I also confirmed that

1) The V30 will scale HD analog input and output analog
    2) Same as HD+
    3) Same as HD+

So with a HD+ I am not able to a take SKY-HD over component or DVI, have the HD+ scale it and output at native resolution over component/RGB

Just as well they are offering a good trade-in price!

From the messages it seems that it may be possible to buy a "black box" that accepts the DVI output from my HD+ and turns it Component? Is that correct and what is the likely price? The HD+ to V30 upgrade is about $700 if you do it before the 15th.

Cliff

5. charker

charker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20