1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD and plasmas?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Desk, Aug 24, 2003.

1. Desk

Desk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +785
    Can plasmas really do justice to a high definition input?

I ask because after investigating the pros and cons of a plasma versus an LCD or CRT projector I was surprised to discover that many panels don't appear to match high definition resolutions.

As I understand it the resolution on current Panasonics models is 852 x 480. While Pioneer displays DO enter HD territory with an upper 1024 x 768 resolution US broadcaster HDNet is apparently transmitting at 1920 x 1080. Currently, it seems that no consumer plasma screen is capable of displaying this resolution.

For the amount of money involved I would have hoped that Plasmas would be relatively "future-proof", able to make the most of emerging HD technology such as Blu Ray and HDTV (if it ever becomes established in the UK).

Is this an area where a CRT projector has an advantage, or have I got hold of the wrong end of the stick?

Any info gratefully received,

Desk

2. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    There has been a huge amount of debate about this over the last couple of months (and before). You should be able to find the answers to your questions by doing a search of this forum.

Cheers,
    Liam

3. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Hi Desk,

An ALIS plasma displays a 1080i HD signal by "chopping off" the top and bottom slightly to match the 1024 pixel resolution. 720p signals would be shown slightly scaled up on a 768 pixel panel. A 1920x1080 70" resolution plasma has recently been demonstrated by Samsung. Hope this helps.

Steve

4. tbrar

tbrar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You certainly have the RIGHT end of the stick, in PDP technology does have limitations. However, bear in mind the relative infancy of the technology. CRT's have been around for how many years ??. PDP's are moving forward with each subsequent generations advances.

Give it a few years or so and perhaps it will be a different story. In the mean time, should you choose PDP, it is a question of compromise, specifically which compromises/how many you are prepared to make. Alternativly, you could opt for a CRT projector, which would take up more space than a dining table ......

Tony

5. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    ... and produce a much better, bigger picture ...

;)

6. tbrar

tbrar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No ones denying that.....

7. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    Just joshing ;)

I think that a CRT projector porves that there are more factors to consider with Home Cinema than just picture quality. I ended up with a plasma.

8. tbrar

tbrar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Desk,

In all honesty PQ wise I doubt youll beat a CRT projector, but as has been said there are other factors and unfortunatley for me its just not a praticality.

Though one day perhaps .........

Tony

9. Desk

Desk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +785
    Hi guys,

Many thanks for all the information - on the back of the further investigating I've been doing it's been very helpful.

One thing I've read is that the closer the input to the Plasma's natural resolution the better, as there's less conversion needed. Does this mean that HD Plasmas such as the Pioneers won't handle 720p images as well as an SD Panasonic?

The 70" Samsung mentioned by Dutch looks able to handle the highest resolutions, but at that size I'd imagine it'll probably cost the earth. However, I'm looking forward to hearing how the Series 6 HD Panasonics perform - anyone know if a 50" model is scheduled?

I don't know if I'm any closer to buying a plasma screen or CRT projector, but at least I feel I'm a lot better prepared.

Thanks,

Desk

10. tbrar

tbrar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Desk,

How do you work the above out?

A 720p source will have a resolution of 1080 x 720.

A Standard Definition panel will have a resolution of 850 x 480, Pioneers have a resolution of 1024 x 768.

Tony

11. Desk

Desk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +785
    Sorry, I thought 720p represented the standard Pal resolution of 720 x 576.

It was my understanding that this signal would look better on a Standard Definition panel than an HD one, as it would be closer to its natural resolution.

12. tbrar

tbrar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  13. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,525
    Desk

I think if anyone on the forums had the room (and I mean a dedicated room) I dont think any of us would ever refuse a Home Theatre with a high quality CRT projector over any other display technology (oh! and a tame AV technician on hand would be good too to keep the CRT optimised).

I guess though the market is proving that its just not practical for the majority of movie fans to have a dedicated room and a Plasma is a pretty good compromise that can live in your lounge - sometimes supplemented with a 6-8' drop down screen and a small LCD (or increasingly) DLP projector.

As far as HD on a Plasma goes its pretty new territory for us all (especially so in the UK) and plenty of investigation and experimentation is underway - ask Tony!!!

Once you start down the road of optimising your preferred Plasma Display you can pretty much assume that at some point (fairly quickly) your going to try and effectively 'bypass' as much of the displays inbuilt video engine as possible and look at using an external processor to optimise the incoming video images to your displays preferred pixel and refresh rate (not as easy as it would appear as the complexity of the in built video engines are still being discovered).

Certainly for many the True 1024x768 (42/43") displays offer more scope for optimisation than the 852x480 displays and others are great advocates of the Fujitsu ALIS technology (leaving aside the technical arguments).

You only have to look at Pioneers soon to be released PDP-434HDE PlasmaTV to see how the video engine is such a big factor in image quality - this uses the same glass panel as the outgoing PDP-433HDE but ups the colour, contrast, signal compatibility and input types by a big margin.

Having viewed a JVC D-VHS deck plus an HD Leeza with my Pioneer 433MXE I can say you can push the screen technology far further than any of the inbuilt video engines currently do.

Best regards

Joe

14. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +566
    1280x720, surely?

15. tbrar

tbrar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  16. tbrar

tbrar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nicolas,

It is as suspected 1280 x 720, attached is a link to a more reliable source of information.

http://www.avsforum.com/hdtvfaq/HDTV-FAQ.htm

Its interesting however, as in the back of my Momitsu V880 HD DVD Player manual it says the same as posted previously, that is 1080 x 720 is the pixelisation for a 720p source ?.

Tony

17. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Hi Tony,

It does say that at the back of the V880 manual, but it also says on the back cover in large type, "P-scan DVI 1080i". D'oh! :suicide:

Steve;)

18. tbrar

tbrar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Steve,

Perhaps it will do 'PScan 1080i DVI' with the code upgrade ....

There again perhaps it wont ....... :D

Tony