hd and phone line

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by ninjabika, Jan 2, 2007.

1. ninjabika

ninjabika
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi-ya all

great site by the way very informative, can anyone offer me some advice have just bought a lcd hd tv, am already a sky subscriber (basic package) anyway i got yhe tv from currys so i took them up on the hd upgrade for £200 +£60 fitting charge.

when i got home tonight i realised that i don't have a fixed landline telephone anymore , seeing as i've had sky for about 10 years i didn't need it, will i need a phone line to use sky hd , has anyone got any ideas please

Martin

2. IanW1977

IanW1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    We just had HD and our Phone line wasn't connected to any box but when we had HD and Multiroom we had HD connected to the Telephone line but the Multiroom wasn't but Sky wrote to us to tell us so we had to get it connected.

3. messenger

messenger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +203
    You'll need the phone line just to get the HD box set up, you can just run an extension lead if you need to & just blag to the installation engineer your going to get a perminant extension soon.

Once engineer has gone & all is working pull the cord & everything will still work fine. Sky only insist on a perminant phone line if you have multi room as the post above says. Having the phone line always connected only gains you access the box office movies & other channels so you can spend even more cash with sky, if your happy with the package your on you dont really need to phone line connected.

Good Luck :)

4. uno

uno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    I have noticed in the past few weeks to my standard HD box is calling back to Sky about twice a week and my box is connected all the time and i dont use the box office at all,so perhaps they are gathering data about whats being watched in preparation for the new VOD service so they can see what kind of things people will want.

5. kevmarshall

kevmarshall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +209
    Where is he going to run an extension from if he has no landline..........next door?:rolleyes:

6. blisteringblue

blisteringblue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    My box used to be connected all the time too but I was having horrendous noise on my phone line and using BT fault finder faq I found it was the sky HD box that was causing it !! Its now disconnected as I laid the extension to it under my wood floor and there is no way I am taking that up to check it.

I can plug it in if I need box office etc and multiroom is still connected so I don't get the "plug it in or we charge you" letters

7. nigandot

nigandot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My HD box phone line connection does not seem to work - When plugged in I get no dial tone from my telephone & the telephone line is not connected message as well. My Sky+ box is fine even plugged into the same socket as the HD box.

Anyone had this problem before I have to phone customer service and get asked to reboot (which I have) etc?

cheers

8. city fan

city fan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    I have a similar problem. I tried to order a box office movie, but got an error message saying "viewing card credit limit full" ( or very similar). My system says the phone line is connected and my phone and broadband work fine, as do both filters. Some unhelpful guy at Sky says its the filter that's faulty but it's fine.

Sky are next to useless, my guess is that even though the phone line is ok it's the box that's faulty and not calling back to Sky, I've also got a grim feeling there are a few charges I've not paid for, which have stored up!.

Can anybody advise as to best way to resolve.

Thanks........