HD and my Panasonic PV500

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Branko, Aug 10, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Branko

Branko
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Have just purchased a Panasonic 37PV500 (see separate post on JL pricing as managed to save £365). This comes with a free DMR ES 10 DVD player/recorder. The question relates to HD. I have read that Sky will be doing this next year so that's fine I can upgrade next year.

What about playback of DVDs? I am confused as to whether a normal DVD player can upscale images if connected to the TV via HDMI or whether a special HDMI 'enabled' player is needed and what difference HD and non-HD recorded DVDs make.

1) The DMR ES 10 does not have an HDMI connection so can it be connected in such a way to give an 'improved' picture quality or is RGB scart the best?

2) Is it worth buying another DVD player (there aren't that many around - Samsung HD850?) that has an HDMI connection so I can connect this player via the HDMI socket on the Panny and will normal (non-HD recorded) DVDs look much better via this?

3) I have a Pioneer cinema surround sound DVD/amp kit. I guess I would connect the HDMI player sound output to the amp to enable this but still using the HDMI connection for the picture (which would carry sound also direct to the TV)?

Many thanks.

2. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +882
    The advantage of HDMI connection is that you remove an analogue stage from your connection - potentiall providing a "cleaner" signal path from disc to screen.

Whether the image is scaled in the DVD player or the plasma it is going to be scaled somewhere (though AIUI HDMI can carry 480 and 576 line signals by pixel replication - so you need to check whether the HDMI outputs of potential players scale or not)

However also check to see if your DVD recorder has progresssive analogue component outputs, because this may deliver a better picture than an interlaced RGB SCART connection (though this will be a comparison between the de-interlacer in the DVD player or the in the plasma)