HD-A1 When?

JohnRaymond

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Just wondering when a UK version of these players will be in our shops.
Anyone with accurate forecast?

Hi John,

My sentiments exactly, I'm wondering when a PAL version will be available in the UK. There seems to be no solid info around about this - or at least not jumping out at me.

Marcus

Late October/Early November is the date that has been set. Formal announcement of availability, features and price will be made mid-September at the Berlin show.

i will be hanging on for't ps3. it has HDMI 1.3 so my guess is that it will match any standalone BD player for ages ( for the money)
C'MON BLU RAY!!!!!!
i aint buying both formats so, i hope sony sort all issues and hd dvd dies a sudden death!!:smashin:

i will be hanging on for't ps3. it has HDMI 1.3 so my guess is that it will match any standalone BD player for ages ( for the money)
Well if it's got HDMI 1.3 how can anything else compete? :rolleyes: You might have to wait quite awhile for any BluRay titles by the way - BluRay is region locked so if you buy a UK player you will be restricted to UK releases only.

jamespickles said:
C'MON BLU RAY!!!!!!
i aint buying both formats so, i hope sony sort all issues and hd dvd dies a sudden death!!:smashin:

wow fanboy alert!! :rotfl:

eternaldark said:
wow fanboy alert!! :rotfl:

he does sound a bit eager, but then he might have a point. Why would sony even bother with HDMI 1.3 if they planned to cripple the BD player? Maybe its inclusion makes it more likely Sony will spend more on the playback software than the £1.50 they spent on the PS2?

jeeez, guys, sony MUST make the ps3 as good as poss. even if it means loosing huge amounts of cash now, in the long run if they can make BD succeed over hd dvd, they can take the market....
i recon the ps3 will either make or break sony, if BD fails...:suicide: :suicide: :suicide: for sony!
they should be making the ps3 AMAZINGLY GOOD...but maybe iam just in cloud cukoo land?

I hope you realise that HDMI 1.3 is not all it's cracked up to be and doesn't really offer anything over HDMI 1.1. The reason Sony wants it so bad, is so that they don't have to include a Dolby True HD decoder inside the PS3. If you buy a PS3 and want Dolby TrueHD you'll have to fork out loads of cash for a 1.3 receiver. Descent 1.3 recievers wont even be out for six months. There's no way I'm going to upgrade my Denon 4306 just for the PS3.

If like the HD-A1 the player decodes Dolby TrueHD into uncompressed PCM and outputs it to an HDMI 1.1 receiver via HDMI, you will get the exact same lossless Dolby True HD that you would get with HDMI 1.3 - HDMI 1.3.

Same applies to Dolby Digital + etc

just because it has 1.3 doesn't mean it won't decode TrueHD. It should have the horsepower to handle that. Although the lack of analogue audio outs means it clearly won't be any audiophiles choice unless you have a HDMI receiver

I'll bet money the PS3 wont decode it. I don't even think the Sony stand alone player will. I'll obviously be corrected if I'm wrong on the second one :D

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom