hd 950 throw distance

sex

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi AV forums,

I'm in the final stages of my home theatre build and have a hd950. My question would be does anyone see anything wrong with putting the 950 4 mtrs away from a 72" screen?.

From looking at the projector calculator it say its possible with

1.10x zoom

4 mtr throw

72" screen (1.0 gain) Slimline 240 Premium Electric Screen

The room is completely light controlled and pitch black with the lights off. 1.7 mtrs of the wall and ceiling near the screen are covered with charcoal felt material this really makes a difference in terms of contrast ( I think).

The projector will be at the back of the room above heads vented into the small back toilet. I hate whirring fans (although the fan is reasonably quiet) and do not wish for the heat to get into the room itself.

Opinions and questions are welcome. Once I have it all set up I will post some pictures of the room. I do have some of the construction won't over do it.

All the best.

Last edited:
If you ask me a 72" screen seems a small screen for such a fantastic projector:( but who am I to say when my PJ was a 10th of the price!

Looking at the projector central calculator it is possible to have a screen upto 99" but it does not give the minimum?

Thanks for the reply Steve,

In the end I lashed up a support and tried it out. The picture is still amazing. The dark knight looks great.

As for the size of screen all I can say is the room is not huge and therefore viewing distance is not that far away. The image size in my eyes great as I'm not playing tv tennis i.e eyeballs quickly changing from far right to left as the image is too large for the distance / room. Whatever the size the picture in incredible. It is my first pj and apart from upgrading to an anamorphic lens in the future that's it for now.

Now making touched to the pj housing behind the cinema seats and job done.

Regards

eS sex

I have the 990 in a room that is rather limited for space. It is 11ft x 11ft exactly and I have fitted a 90" screen which is just filled at full zoom. The projector is ceiling mounted and the seats are underneath. Looks absolutely great and the screen is definitely not too large for the seating distance.

Cheers Gaz,

Already go the screen and very happy with it :D.

The jvc is very good and having not seen too many other projectors it lives up to my expectations and some.

Now got to start collecting blu ray title.

Can't wait for tron legacy later this year. The blacks will look great on this pj. Got a feeling it's going to be another milestone for CGI. From looking a the concept trailer my jaw hit the floor.

Although most people go for the largest screen possible, a smaller screen makes DVD's acceptable while you're building up your Blu-ray collection. :smashin:

Yes I do have quite a few DVD's and to junk them would be crazy.

I will make the screen larger when I have the cash for an anamorphic lense and sled. Althought for that I will have to get some floor speakers as my towers are to the left and right of the screen.

What can I say I'm a happy chap. The screen is great for my wife and I and she think the picture is spot on. There definitely is something to be said for a projected image rather than a large screen. It's hard to describe but it is well....... cinematic. No piece of glass in front of the screen just a flat matt image. I'm sure someone around the forum has had this conversation already about pj vs large tv.

Does anyone think it is worth paying the money for a certified pro to come around and set up the picture?

Does anyone think it is worth paying the money for a certified pro to come around and set up the picture?

If you've plenty of spare cash, then I'm sure that's the way to go.

However, the THX mode is pretty close to accurate, so maybe you'd prefer to build up your Blu-Ray collection and then get it calibrated when you're on the second bulb.

Of course, you can always self-calibrate if you have the time.

Good luck. :smashin:

self calibration looks to be a can of worms. I would presumably need a light meter etc and the main thing.... Know what I was doing. Plus I would always have the feeling that the pro would do a superior job to myself.

As you say tight git the thx setting is tip top.

And as for spare cash that seems to be running out now and any further spends will have to be vetted by the wife. I was allowed my room and toys but I feel my candle is burning at both ends.

Probably better off plonking my arse down and actually enjoying the room than worrying about if a calibration is best :)

Hello Sex (how did you get that name past the mods? :D). I'm with TG on using the THX mode as until the projector has at least 100 hours on it I feel that a calibration is a bit premature. I've done DIY calibrations on my similar HD350 at 30, 100, 180, 250 and 350 hours for various reasons such as buying other new equipment (and curiousity :D). But what I've found is that the projector has really changed over those first 200 hours, so I'd definitely wait anyway if you intend paying a pro to do it. I understand the THX mode is pretty good anyway.

If you do get a lens eventually, to use with a sled, then you'll need a model that doesn't magnify the whole image (like my Isco II does). Otherwise when you slide it out of the way for 16:9 content you'll find that the image won't be 'constant height' and will be a little smaller heightwise. This menas you'll still have to mess about with the zoom which kind of defeats part of the objoect of having a lens IMHO.

You'll be able to get a bigger image from your shorter throw using a lens, but also bear in mind that most anamorphic lenses work best at a longer throw, so you may tend to get more pincusion or possibly even vignetting which will spoil the image, so make sure you research very carefully regarding throw distance. In fact the reason my Isco II works so well in my setup is that I'm at the longest throw possible (projector zoom at minimum) as my TR is approx 2.7. If your TR works out less than 2.0 you'll need to be careful and towards a TR of 1.5 may not work with some lenses (possibly OK with the ££££ Isco III though :)).

I have the 990 in a room that is rather limited for space. It is 11ft x 11ft exactly and I have fitted a 90" screen which is just filled at full zoom. The projector is ceiling mounted and the seats are underneath. Looks absolutely great and the screen is definitely not too large for the seating distance.
hi is that the distance from screen to projector 11ft :lease:

hi is that the distance from screen to projector 11ft :lease:

No the room is 11 feet. The projector is a close to the wall as I could get it, the screen is also only around 4cm out from the wall. So the throw distance is just less than 10ft.

No the room is 11 feet. The projector is a close to the wall as I could get it, the screen is also only around 4cm out from the wall. So the throw distance is just less than 10ft.
:smashin: thankyou by the way how do you find it with that distance do it fill all the screen

:smashin: thankyou by the way how do you find it with that distance do it fill all the screen

Yes fills a 90" diagonal 16:9 screen with 1cm to spare ! :) I have a 50cm top drop on the screen so the projector needs to be at a bit of an angle even with the full lens shift. It is ceiling mounted and just about as high as it could possibly go ( Pure Theatre XL lift). So unfortuately I need a bit of keystone correction, but it doesn't seem to affect the picture (that I can see!).

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom