1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD 5 information please!

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by mrflabby, Jul 8, 2005.

1. mrflabby

Standard Member

Jul 8, 2005
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    I'm seriously thinking of getting the new sony mp3 player and I have a couple questions.

- I know that I will not be able to use the 6 band equalizer with my mp3 files. What will the sound be like? With my sony minidisc the digital megabass is a must. If not switched on the sound is too flat.

- I've also heard that the player is locked to the computer you've uploaded the music from. Does that mean that I won't be able to use the one at work, family, friends to upload music? Some people say up to five... how is this achieved? Do all players have these restrictions?

Thanks for your help
  2. Clercx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:

I've had my Sony NW-HD5HS (the 30 GIG version) for two days now, and from the pdf-guide I can already answer to your questions:

- Yes, the player is hooked to the computer you've used to install, so it is NOT possible to use the player as a way of transport between computers. Of course the reason given is 'copyright' but this also means that if one has legally purchased music and wishes to travel around with this music (for instance taking the player to work, put some files on the hard-drive for future personal use) this is NOT the player to buy because this annoying feature is only readable in the small print.

- Also, the supplied headphones are of ridicilous low quality (not even a carrying case is supplied to roll up the cord), so expect to cash out on top to buy decent headphones.

- Belt clip: not included. Necklace: not included. Only an inferior carrying pouch.

- Soundquality with the supplied headphones is terrible. No bass response and far too sharp treble, and when you try to adjust with the equaliser, the supplied headphones makes it sound like the beat of an empty tin drum. The overall 'feel' of the music is hollow. I attached another decent headphone and this was a major improvement, but at this prize consumers should demand a decent headphone instead of the GARBAGE which comes with the product and makes a relatively good product sound bad.

- Userfriendlyness is good (had no problem installing the software) but forget about 'support' for WAV. When you transfer WAV files to the player, they are automatically transferred to Atrac which makes it impossible to use the player for listening to non compressed music (which is a shame because of the high volume drive). Whatever medium you put into it, it will be compressed to Atrac, otherwise it's MP3.

I'm no pro or contra I-Pod, nor a pro or contra Sony: to me it's about the sound quality, and frankly straight out of the box this is terrible. And I really blame company's like Sony for adding to the garbage dump: no audio lover will be satisfied with the supplied headphones and will be forced to buy another pair and the first pair will probably end up in the garbage bin.

Oh yes, than there is the sound volume. It's loud enough for use in not noisy environment but ridicilously low if you would be in a noisy airplane or subway. Of course Sony is not to blame, but at least they could have chosen for a more user friendly 'hack' to bypass the problem.