1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD-5 and USB 2.0

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by mrflabby, Aug 11, 2005.

1. mrflabby

mrflabby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a PCI card with 5 usb 2.0 ports before getting my Sony HD5 and now I find that whenever I plug it in I get an error message "Device not recognised". I have to admit it is a cheap card. So I'm stuck with the old usb 1.1 ports but transfers take forever and the device gets very hot during transfers.

Have you had similar problems? Anyone can recommend a PCI card to add usb 2.0 ports?

:lease:

Thanks.

2. ak47wong

ak47wong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Do you have any other USB devices? Do they work OK with your USB 2.0 card? If not, it would seem there's something wrong with your card or its installation. But if the HD5 is the only device that has a problem... sorry, I don't know.

I have a cheap card too, but I don't think it matters that much. Mind you, I had to edit the registry to get mine to install under Win XP SP1.

Andrew

3. Hooters

Hooters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldn't worry too much about the HD5 getting hot when connected, it does charge via USB so this is probably just the usual warming you get when charging batteries.

As the USB2, sorry, I only have USB1.1 ports as well. It does take a long time to load music :boring: but at least you only do it once! :thumbsup:

4. mrflabby

mrflabby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After buying the hd5 I read somewhere in the manual that the device is not compatible with usb hubs....
    My printer and usb mouse work with this card but my usb external hard drive/pendrive don't. Weird!
    I might get another one and see.
    Thanks for the replies.

5. Mike_manchester

Mike_manchester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In answering this, i am assuming that you have a Win XP build...

...being a "cheap card" is not in itself a problem - they can work perfectly, but they can also play up with certain motherboard / usb card combinations.

"Device not recognised" and having ports drop in and out is usually the symptoms of such problems. I would suggest:

1) visit http://www.usbman.com/
    2) I can fully recommend Belkin USB cards - they have a good reputation for dropping straight into a system without any problems.