1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hcpc?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by General Skanky, Feb 14, 2005.

1. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    If I wanted to, could I replace my DVD and processor with an all in one HCPC in the same concept as a Linn Unidisk?

Ie, a full on processor for my active speakers with all the usual AV inputs/outputs, DD/DTs decoding etc, aswell as being a fully functioning dvd player and pc?

The HCPC route seems intiguing, but I don't think I would be inclined to change until I could buy a fully assembled unit from the likes of Hi Grade or Elonex that does the lot, AV style, not a compromise solution that is almost there.

I've been reading through all the past threads here, and the thing that stirkes me the most is that as good as it all is, it's still a techie haven of having to know what every bit does. By that I mean, it doesn't come across as simply saying, buy the Arcam DV27a, it's a fantastic player. Turn it on, put the dic in and it'll do the rest. (Ok, not 'that' simple, but you know what I mean.)

2. onefivenine

onefivenine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +647
    Good question... I'm more than intrigued, and I've built two PC's in the past but I would not approach this as a simple solution to achieving the same quality that you'd expect from a £30 Asda machine never mind an Arcam.

I've not known anyone build any PC - for HTPC use or otherwise - without running up against problems needing driver updates/firmware updates/you name it.

Depends if you're up for the challenge and inherent learning curve. Don;t let it put you off though. I'm planning my Claritas cased HTPC right now...

On the other hand... to me it's like deciding between spending 30 hours speccing/building an HTPC PC at the weekends or earning 30 hours overtime and buy an off the shelf player that won;t need building/configuring/operating system/anti-virus/blah blah...

But - I need a new PC - so I'm going to kill two birds with one stone... and maybe - probably - it'll be better with the HS50 than my trusty old Arcam DV88...

horses for courses...

3. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    :rotfl: :D :hiya: :smashin: :thumbsup:

I'm an inverterate tweaker so i'm in heaven ;) in the 5+ years since i started on the HCPC treadmill i've spent around £1100 includes software updates as well.

You get your prized (£500-700) dvd player home keep it a year then flog it for £40 on Ebay 18 months later, exaggeration?........maybe.
    A well thought out & well spec'd HCPC is IMHO very reliable esp' now that Windoze XP is here, my advice....don't make the HCPC do too much, simplicity is the key, as your knowledge/experience grows then you can add to it.
    There is a wealth of experience here, do it, & save yourself some dosh :smashin:
    HTH.
    Tim.

4. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,504
    If you use MCE2005 it really does make things a lot easier and it's got great WAF! It's a very slick and nice looking front end, as long as you chose components wisely and use MCE2005 it should be pretty straightforward to build a HTPC that is pretty much like a standalone dvd player but with all the nice extras!

Cheers,
    Andy.

5. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    You got it in one. :)

While products like MCE make it easier, as Andy has discovered you still need to leave the cosy confines of it's cuddly, friendly UI if you want to get top quality.

While I have an HTPC giving me a picture somewhat better than my Pioneer 868 there are still niggles when alternating between PAL and NTSC, and NTSC which want 60hz and NTSC which want 48hz which have got so damned tedious I'm evaluating the idea of an SDI-modded player into a scaler .. or maybe a Denon A1-XV. ;)

6. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    It will be a big learning curve but the quality improvement compared to a dv27 will be very noticeable.

There are plenty of people here that have done large parts of the hard work already. For example you could buy the ir receiver that I use and then use my pronto ccf (and girder file - the bit that receives it) and you can then remotly control Theatretek and Dscaler for your Sky+. Not exactly plug and play but not too awful either.

7. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Interesting comments.

For me, the learning curve would be ok.

It'd be great to have a top notch dvd, cd, gaming, internet etc etc in one. But.... a processor too?

That's what I need, 'with' proper AV connections too.

It's all too pc still.

8. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    If you are intending to game on the machine I would be inclined to make it a dual boot and keep the gaming seperate, smooth dvd playback and bloated machines do not go well together.

As far as browsing, I use XP's remote desktop to take control of another machine which means the HTPC doesn't need firewalls or antivirus and spyware applications either.

9. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Using the PC as an external processor is partly doable, using something like a Sweetspot capture card and DScaler, however much of this software is still work in progress and everyone's favourite, FFDSHOW, is unlikely to be devoped on in the short term in the areas of video processing from what I've seen posted on AVS and the recent additions to the code tree, they're into decoders and other things it seems.