1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HCPC without the hassle

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Melvin, Aug 1, 2004.

1. Melvin

Melvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I am thinking of setting up/buying a home cinema pc. As I am new to this game I would rather not set one up from scratch. Are there any manufactuers out there that sell one box solutions? Are there any pc's out there that can output 5.1 sound, have top notch graphic cards and use the latest dvd drives. I would also like the dvd software to be pre-installed?
    This may be a tall order but someone out there must surely sell them.
    Does something like the above already exist in the Sony Vaio range?
    Cheers for your help.

2. Pavel

Pavel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Melvin

Have a look at Uvem or Entertainment PC;
    http://www.uvem.com
    http://www.entertainmentpc.co.uk

NB, Uvem now do a case in the same style as the one on EPC's home page (I've seen one), although they haven't updated their web site to show it.

Paul

3. SimonInd

SimonInd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    As someone who'd never built a PC before, I went down the route of picking up a machine as close as possible to desired specification from the DELL Outlet. This had a nVidia FX5200 graphics card ( VGA,DVI and TV-out ) and a DVD-ROM drive with PowerDVD pre-installed. The on-board sound gave 5.1 out although I have since upgraded this to a M-Audio Audiophile 2496. I spent a little under £500 on a Dimension 8300 which I've been delighted with - it's quiet and black so it doesn't look too bad in the lounge.

Since I started ( Dec last year ) I've added a Nebula DigiTV card, a second hard drive ( 200GB ), upgraded the sound, put it on a wireless network and moved to WinDVD as the playing software.

Good luck

Simon

4. Melvin

Melvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for your input guys. I will chase some of these leads up.