1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HCPC - Wife Friendly???

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by WBC, Jul 10, 2003.

1. WBC

WBC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys,

I'm considering building a PC to use for DVD & MP3. I work in IT so building the kit is no problem..........my question is how friendly can a HCPC be????

Assuming the PC is powered on, do DVD's autoload??? Can you get a descent shell to avoid looking at a windows desktop (I' think I've seen some somewhere but can't remember). What user benefits are there over a standard DVD player.

I'm not interested in having to tinker with the kit. If I want to watch a DVD.......I want to watch a DVD ;) I spend far too long, day-in day-out configuring IT equipment, I don't want to do it at home :thumbsdow I basically want something that the wife can turn on and play!!

Thanks
    Stace :D

2. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
  3. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,016
    You can use an IR device combined with Girder software and operate most all functions of any software via a remote.

http://www.girder.nl

I'm using a Samsung 709 which operates PowerDVD and the mouse. It also switches off the pc.

You can build the receiver yourself:

http://www.cesko.host.sk/images/girderschema2.gif

You can get the bits from CPC or RS. Maplins do some bits, but not the TSOP which is what I used for mine (top drawing).

Use Girder to control the software you use. To make some things simpler, you can get an existing .gml file for the program(s) you use, then just re-learn the remote control codes by 'learn event' and press the relevant button on the remote.

HTH

Gary.

4. triumphtiger

triumphtiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The myhtpc.net is a pretty nice app.
    Although it takes a bit getting used to, and a bit more to get it where you (or your wife) want it.

Standard dvd-players is still the easy way out.

5. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,016
    HTPC can be a pain in the butt when/if things go wrong etc, but you can't beat the flexibility or quality you can get from one.

I was very tempted back to a standalone player due to the smoother picture that could be seen on my new pj, but after getting PowerDVD XP and using DVI, I'm in no hurry to get a standard player. You'd be hard pushed to find a player with HTPC quality at any price IMHO.

Horses for courses etc.

Gary.

6. WBC

WBC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys,

Thanks for the response, the Pronto could handle the IR and I've had alot of experience with Girder.

The 'myhtpc' looks a nice app from the screenshots. I might have a play with it on one of my PC's and see what I think.

If it looks like the sofware could be easily controlled than I may consider it.

Thanks
    Stace :D

7. GaryRees

GaryRees

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys

I have to agree with Gary about the quality of HCPC. I've just sold a Tag McLaren DVD32 and replaced it with a HCPC because the picture quality was so much better. However, I think this is because I'm using a DLP projector with a fixed resolution panel, what it would be like on a TV I don't know.

They are a pain to set up, but the results can definitely be worth it.