1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HCPC..why did I wait so long..

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by museumsteve, Mar 6, 2002.

1. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,020
    'cos it's awesome.
    got everything sorted tonight, found powerstrip (which is a great product) and just wtached most of Fast & Furious in wide720 (1280x720 I think) and it was flawless..
    The most apparent improvement was with background detail..the main scene I noticed was when the cops get ready to turn over the Chinese gang members and the camera looks down on the car park where the cops vehicles are, through PS on my Pioneer you can see lots of broken edges/noise in the building lines, but through PC there's nothing..
    So now, in my everquest to improve to the max, what else can I do to make improvements.
    I have a Geforce 3 in an Athlon XP1800+ running through my Panny AE100 (still)..
    Wouldn;t have even considered this without coming to this forum..
    thanks..:)

2. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now you need to get a WinTV or Zoltrix? based BT8x8 card and hook it up to your cabletv and use http://www.dscaler.org, then watch movies from TV and think your watching a DVD!.

:)

James

3. Hoglet

Hoglet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    You could also try playing with a Hauppauge WinTV Nova-T Digital Terrestrial card, if you live in an area that is capable of receiving off-air digital TV. This picture is much cleaner than analogue, and you get true 16:9 widescreen. These cards cost £99 from Dabs or Jungle.

It's interesting that different channels do vary in quality, since the broadcasters divide up the multiplex bandwidth unevenly.

Last night "Star Trek" on BBC2 was dreadful, but later on "How To Be a Gardener" was superb. Guess they allocate bandwidth in proportion to expected viewing figures....

The Hauppauge application is crap, and the de-interlacing is not the best. One day these cards may be supported with Dscaler, but they are not at the moment.

--- Dave

4. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep!, Ive also noticed that when flicking cabletv channels that some have their colour higher than other channels. Therefore you get bleeding and have to turn the colour down on dscaler.

Luckily though so far all the films on TV have been great, its mainly American channels which have this problem.

5. HBK757

HBK757
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you have an ATI 7200/7500/8500 Radeon ? I've noticed that alot of people have been saying the best HTPC image you can get is by using a 856x480p signal outputting to the projector in WIDE480 mode. The thread was about the Panasonic AE100 projector so it may not apply to your projector though. I've heard that 480p or indeed 720p as the user above mentioned, is the way to go with NTSC widescreen material. :D

Here's the thread - http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=114257