1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HCPC Vs Standalone

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by marcus2704, Sep 3, 2005.

1. marcus2704

marcus2704

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    My setup consists of a Panny 50" Plasma, Arcam DV88 player, and a Shuttle XPC with Radeon X800Pro Gfx Card and basic onboard sound.

My question is from which would I likely get the best image quality?

The Arcam outputs via component in Pro-Scan @ 720x480, whereas I set my PC desktop resolution to 1280 x 720 via VGA connection.

Am I right to presume that I would be better off using my PC as the DVD player because it will upscale that standard DVD res to match my plasma screens resolution of 1366 x 768 using Powerstrip, giving me a higher quality image?

2. dan1979

dan1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    If you set it up right then my vote would go with the PC, I've seen quite a few expensive standalones on show that couldn't match what I've managed from my PC. Nvidia codecs and ffdshow can do some impressive stuff - unfortunately it's often buggy and difficult to get everything working properly - it can take literally days to get it all working right.