HCPC vs High end DVD player?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by BadAss, Feb 19, 2003.

1. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Has anyone had the chance to compare there HCPC to a high end DVD player like the TagDVD32, ArcamFMJ27?

Im intested as Im about to go from a Pioneer 737 to a Radeon 9700 powered HCPC.

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not compared any "high powered" DVD players, but the main difference is that a HTPC can output any resolution.

So a PJ won't have to do any scaling to the incoming signal.

I did have the Nintaus prog. scan player (VGA out & Farajouda deinterlacer) fed to my old AE100, but it still wasn't up to the PC. The closest 2nd by a long way though. Many would prefer the "user friendliness" of a DVD player over HTPC though, given the small difference in pic quality (relatively speaking).

I'm now feeding my HS10 via a Radeon 9700 Pro via DVI (don't know of any DVD players outputting via DVI!), & apart from the very odd bit of stutter (not a problem for me), I can't see how the picture can be beaten.

So >£1000 for an all singing, all dancing prog. scan DVD player V £300 (approx) for a Radeon based HTPC - IMO, the price difference, coupled with the scaling ability/DVI output, make a HTPC the way to go.

Now if someone were to send me a Tag/ Arcam etc... (purely for appraisal purposes), I might give a different opinion
    :D

Who's gonna send Kramer a nice new toy???

:rotfl:

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,030
    It depends on the device you are using as display and the HTPC. Wasn't there a post about this a few days ago?

Gordon

4. rhinoman

rhinoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I've compared my HTPC on a ae100 against one of the Phillips PS players that were imported from Japan (962 I think) and it beat as far as detail was concerened although Pans were very similar . With a higher res display device there is more to gain from a HTPC especially if it is also capable of changing the horizontal refresh rate to match the source material.