1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HCPC virgin - PLEASE HELP !

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Gary Palmer, Nov 20, 2000.

1. Gary Palmer

Gary Palmer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I really liked the idea of a HCPC so I bought a 1GHz PC, loadsa memory, a Soundblaster Live Platinum (for DD5.1 bitstream output) and a six-pack of beer.

Here's my problem. Watching a DVD in the default window size looks fantasic. As soon as I resize or maximise the window the image does not seem to scale very well and the result is underwhelming..

With my Davis DPX16 DLP projector(XGA native at 70-85 Hz, 16:9, 1000 lumens) and a Toshiba DVD (2109) via S-Video the picture is much better than the maximised window via my PC's XGA output !

What am I doing wrong ????? I suspect my DVD player software as it doesn't seem to have any image scaler facilities..

(MGI SoftDVD Max player, NVIDIA TNT Model 64 graphics card with 16Mb, running XGA or better)

What's the best DVD software player ? Am I expecting too much ?

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Aha! MGI SoftDVD is the problem. As DVD software goes it's not ranked as being very good. The three best ones to get are WinDVD 2000, PowerDVD and Cinemaster. PowerDVD would be a good one to go for although I have Elsamovie2000, which is based on the Cinemaster 2000 DVD software and the picture is amazing and smooth.

3. Gary Palmer

Gary Palmer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks,

After I posted my message last night I downloaded the trial version of PowerDVD. Had a quick play this morning and it is a significant improvement. I'll try it with the projector tonight and let you know !

4. HT Dude

HT Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What resolution is XGA ? Is it 800x600?
    This is the recommended starting point for 7" tubed CRTs - I don't know how this relates to the Davis.
    Power DVD is pretty good at interpolating out to most resolutions, but the previous software may not have been.
    Also you want 72Hz for region 1 DVDs (3x24fps), 75Hz for region 2 (3x25fps).

5. Gary Palmer

Gary Palmer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    XGA = 1024 x 768