1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HCPC setup & MCE 2005

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by jackylad, Oct 19, 2004.

1. jackylad

jackylad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I'm a little worried about the hardware compatibility issues if I change from MyHTPC to MCE 2005. Can anyone tell me if the following hardware components would raise any cause for concern:

AMD 64bit 3200+ Processor
    Asustek K8V Deluxe
    1GB 3200 DDR RAM
    3 x Samsung Spinpoint 160GB Hard Disk
    128MB DDR ATI Radeon 9600 with DVI
    Liteon 8x DVD DUAL /R/RW IDE Drive
    Creative Audigy 2 ZS sound card (with the Megaworks 5.1 speaker system)
    Sweetspot RGB video input card (this takes the SKY digital input then processes it through Dscaler)
    Freeview tuner (not sure which one, will have to check)
    Gyration Ultra Wireless Keyboard and Mouse

Also, my TV ariel isn't that good (can get it sorted though) so freeview Tv digitizes every now and then when I'm watch it.

I have been told that the SweetSpot card isn't supported by MCE, as MCE it needs hardware MPEG encoder cards.

If thats the case then what bit of hardware am I missing to get fantastic picture quality performance? The sky digital picture that currently goes to the SweetSpot (www.pluggedin.tv/sweetspot ) then to the display via Dsacler is amazing quality, I'm gutted it won't work with MCE though. Does anyone have any advice or workarounds?

Also, will I need to get the 3 pack MCE 2005 to enable universal DVD recording?

Fingers crossed

And many thanks if you can spend the time answering my questions.

Jackylad

2. mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I doubt any of the hardware would cause a problem, but I'm sorry to say the advice you've already received is correct regarding Sweetspot; it is not supported by MCE. You would have to use one of the tv tuner/capture devices on the MS Hardware Compatibilty List. (Go search)

The picture quality from your present OS, however, which I assume is WXP or some other standard Windows, via DScaler will be far beyond that from any MCE setup. Why change?