1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HCPC resolutions for Plasma

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by andybryant, Jan 3, 2003.

1. andybryant

andybryant
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm considering a couple of 42/43" plasma displays for Sky + DVD viewing through my HTPC, but am concerned about the resolutions.

I don't believe the baseline 852x480 is good for PC use, so have just about crossed the standard def screens off my list.

The next step up is the 16:9 1024x768 displays from NEC (42MP4), Panasonic (TH42PHD5) or Pioneer (PDP-433MXE).

However, I'm concerned about the non square pixels, and how the PC display will be represented on the screen.

Can I drive all of the 3 displays above with a native res signal from the PC, in full 16:9 screen mode using either VGA or DVI?

If I'm doing this, will the PC be useable, or will all the text be somewhat squashed.

When I'm running a TV (or recorded TV) signal through the PC I guess I'll have to scale it to be tall and narrow, so that it looks correct on the plasma. I'm hoping I can tweak Showshifter to do this.

When I'm running a DVD through something like PowerDVD, will I be able to convince PowerDVD to display it correctly in 16:9?

Has anyone got this sort of setup with a 1024x768 plasma running on a HTPC?

Cheers, Andy.

2. phil_evans

phil_evans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Andy,

I only use my PC occasionally with my 433MXE and don't yet have the ability to do non-standard resolutions (I'm considering building an HCPC but can't currently justify it besides being "interesting to do").

So I run 1024x768 into the 433's VGA input and either get a stretched picture (just like watching a 4:3 program in 16:9) with pixel-to-pixel mapping (very sharp), or can switch the 433 to show the PC output as 4:3 which obviously loses some pixels and gives side bars, but looks "correct", if slightly less sharp with small text.

My understanding is that the best route is to use an output res of 1366x768 (ideally into the DVI port) and although you'll still lose some pixels, you'll get the correct 16:9 aspect ratio. You won't then need to try to get any playback/ recording software to do anything clever. You might find some posts over at avsforum.com. (I think kamakiriad (sp?) has done this).

If this still worries you maybe a 50" HD panel is the solution!

HTH,
    Phil