Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

HCPC practicality

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by andyatkins, Jan 26, 2004.

1. andyatkins

andyatkins
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would appreciate HCPC'ers views on the practiality of running an HCPC as the hub for AV in the living room.

I am looking for a solution to go with a forthcoming Plasma purchase (probably a Panny 6 HD) that will get the best out of the panel with Sky+ & DVD sources. I am sold on the benefits of using somthing will make the most of the panel's HD rez & that you can upgrade easily / cheaply - espcially with public domain software like Dscaler available.

However I amconcerned about the practicalities involved - do you HCPC'ers generally leave the PC on all the time or boot it up when you switch the telly on? The thought of waiting for Windows taking forever to boot up every time you switch the tv on makes it seem virtually unusable. My other concern is how easy or not it is to switch between sources - is it straightforward to setup an IR remote via serial or whatever & if so what do HCPCs generally display on screen? Do all you guys develop some menuing system that you select from that the plasma defaults to on switch on (in which case are there potential burn issues there) or does it simply switch from source to source directly?

Sorry for the length / potnetial stupidity of the questions but I would really value views on the day-to-day practicality given my concerns above.

Thanks in advance

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    While I do have an HCPC it's mainly used for DVD viewing .. however, I can see no reason why the thing couldn't be left on all the time, especially if you configure screen-saving and disk spin-down when idle.

I have a small Shuttle mini ATX acting as a NAS backup device .. it was my original HTPC but that's another story, and it hasn't been switched-off since October.

3. SimonInd

SimonInd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm currently going through the process of setting one of these up. It's currently driving my Toshiba RPTV (not very well) and Panasonic AE100 projector, receiving/recording freeview and playing DVDs. My aim ultimately is to use it as a media hub for listening to music, watching live television, recordings and DVDs.

My PC is currently on all of the time ( for recording ) and seems to be happy. The Nebula freeview card has an IR interface which I'm using to control TV/DVD watching. However I'm aiming to configure myHTPC ( http://myhtpc.net/ ) as the overall user interface. This will of course be time consuming but hopefully worth it.

It's a new PC and it boots in under 30 seconds ( XP Home ) so it wouldn't be the end of the world to turn it off, however as I'm using it as a PVR it needs to be on to record TV.

Good luck

Simon