1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HCPC Possiblities

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by mrmc74, May 16, 2004.

1. mrmc74

mrmc74
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm just starting to look into HCPC's. Apart from these forums (of course) are there any good sites showing the possibilites?

I'm wondering what can a HCPC replace... Can they provide a good stereo option, do people use them to replace a standalone CD player and use them for 2 channel music?

2. MikeTV

MikeTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +843
    Definitely. A significant advantage is having all your tracks on the hard disk, so you don't have to switch CD's, and so you then have a CD jukebox. The sound quality should be at least as good as a regular standalone CD player.

The HTPC can also replace a DVD player/video processor (when used with the right display technology). It can also act as a video jukebox.

Another common use is as a Tivo-like device - allowing you to record TV to the hard drive.

But there are many other uses, and you also get a regular PC thrown in for free!

The HTPC really becomes worthwhile when connected to high quality display, like a projector, or widescreen display.

But isn't necessarily the cheapest solution. But often it can provide the best quality. This depends on the components it's replacing, and/or being connected to.

3. mrmc74

mrmc74
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Mike.

Found another forum which it seems quite a few members here frequent.

I'm really trying to assess the idea of doing it. I've always built pc's and I'm still looking for info as to the trade-offs between ease of use and perhaps a direct comparison of the quality of the sort of kit it can (for a reasonable price) replace.

4. sapper

sapper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    I have just ordered my componments for the basis of an HCPC.

When the barebones is up and running, I will add stuff to it later, eg etra hard drivesSerial ATA array, tv capture, and appropiate software. Should be able to build it early next week all things being equal...

Adrian