1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HCPC -> Panny vs External DVD player -> DScaler -> Panny

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by hermand, Jun 28, 2002.

1. hermand

hermand
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thinking about the new setup I will be getting...

Assuming in each case the HCPC is the same, would

(1) the HCPC connected up to a Panny AE100 using Powerstrip (Wide480), running a DVD internally

be (a) noticeably different in terms of Picture quality (b) different at all in terms of Picture Quality

vs

(2) A lowish end external DVD player (say a sony 305 or something like that) feeding s-video into the HCPC capture card, then using dscaler, powerstrip WIDE480 etc..

Also would having a higher end DVD player in setup (2) make much of a difference?

Or have I got something arse about face?

Cheers

Herman

2. Pootle

Pootle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm pretty sure you will get MUCH better PQ with option 1.

While I haven't tried an external DVD player, I have used both external and internal Digital TV tuners on my PC to a Sanyo projector (similar res to a panny, but 4:3 format).

I'm using a Radeon AIW as the capture card for external sources.

With this setup I get a very much crisper and cleaner picture with the internal source, than with s-video or composite input.

I would expect that an external DVD player (especially a low end - i.e. interlaced output - one) to be no better than an external digital STB feeding composite input, whereas a DVD will give you a much better picture than an internal digital TV card.

The only thing that could change this, is a capture card that is much higher quality than the AIW capture.

You can see a comparison of external source vs. internal source for digital TV here

And (ignoring the colour shifts 'cos that isn't normal), you can see the difference between direct from DVD and the same film over Digital TV here

Basically the bandwidth to screen of a DVD played through the computer exceeds the bandwidth you can get through s-video or composite video by about 4 times.

BTW there are no shots of composite input on the web site above, mostly because composite was always noticably worse than s-video (as you would expect).

BTW I have also tried s-video straight into the pj, just to see if it was noticably different to s-video to PC to pj, and it was slightly better, but nowhere near as good as a Digital TV PCI card.